Actual Payloads on 23 and 24 Tahoe with Max TOW package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beniskickbutt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im looking at getting my first family car which i'd also like to double as a towing vehicle. Been cramming kids in a hatchback for too long. My target travel trailer is a 20' and I have no concerns about the towing capacity, just payload.

Does anyone know what actual real world payload capacities are actually obtainable with the 2023 or 2024 tahoe? I've asked various dealers as well as support on the chevy site it self and nobody can give me an answer of what ranges to even expect for payload. Having a tough time finding sample payload stickers online as well.

I've seen a ~1,900# number quoted in various places for payload on the Tahoe, wondering if theres any chance of actually getting something close to that...

The only "required" option/addon is the Max Trailering Package. Im still debating with AWD vs 2WD so i'd shave off another ~100# there if i went AWD. If I could land close to 1,800# in its factory state, I would be quite happy. If I miss it, not the end of the world but want to know what I am getting into.

EDIT: I am also actually pretty indifferent to yukon vs tahoe. A car is a car to me and I just want something that can tow and haul my kids and their friends around. The yukon and tahoe both seem pretty similar in capabilities so I really wouldnt prefer one over the other. If I get a min of 8,000# towing capacity, uber close to 1,900# payload and min of 7 seats, my life is complete. I wish those suburban 2500s still existed... Thats technically over kill but i'd never have to worry.

Also a little worried that I wouldnt be able to get an order in for a 2024 Tahoe and the payload appears to be going down. 2023 looked slightly higher than 2024 and the 2024 higher than the 2025..

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On GM’s website it shows the 5.3L in 2 wheel drive trim can haul 8400 lbs and 1834 lbs of payload. What may be more helpful is GVWR or Combined rating.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at getting my first family car which i'd also like to double as a towing vehicle. Been cramming kids in a hatchback for too long. My target travel trailer is a 20' and I have no concerns about the towing capacity, just payload.

Does anyone know what actual real world payload capacities are actually obtainable with the 2023 or 2024 tahoe? I've asked various dealers as well as support on the chevy site it self and nobody can give me an answer of what ranges to even expect for payload. Having a tough time finding sample payload stickers online as well.

I've seen a ~1,900# number quoted in various places for payload on the Tahoe, wondering if theres any chance of actually getting something close to that...

The only "required" option/addon is the Max Trailering Package. Im still debating with AWD vs 2WD so i'd shave off another ~100# there if i went AWD. If I could land close to 1,800# in its factory state, I would be quite happy. If I miss it, not the end of the world but want to know what I am getting into.

EDIT: I am also actually pretty indifferent to yukon vs tahoe. A car is a car to me and I just want something that can tow and haul my kids and their friends around. The yukon and tahoe both seem pretty similar in capabilities so I really wouldnt prefer one over the other. If I get a min of 8,000# towing capacity, uber close to 1,900# payload and min of 7 seats, my life is complete. I wish those suburban 2500s still existed... Thats technically over kill but i'd never have to worry.

Also a little worried that I wouldnt be able to get an order in for a 2024 Tahoe and the payload appears to be going down. 2023 looked slightly higher than 2024 and the 2024 higher than the 2025..
FWIW - I have a '22 Yukon XL 4WD - Duramax - 9 seat config - Max Tow Pkg. GVWR = 7700lbs - Curb Weight = 6117lbs - Payload = 1583lbs

We pull an '18 Keystone Passport 239ML - it puts us right at 12.1K GCWR (Yukon = 7350lbs - Trailer = 4750lbs) - That's with 2 adults and 5 kids.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting closer to 2K payload on the Tahoe platform. GM's website lists the curb weight at ~5580lbs and GVWR at 7500lbs. The actual curb weight will be different as they are all specific to their trim level and option configurations. As I'm sure you're aware, a more loaded config with Mag Ride, pano sun roof, 22" Rims, etc. will have a higher curb weight and hence less payload capacity.

I'd suggest going to a dealer and looking at some Tahoes. On the inside of the driver door will be a sticker and it will give you the actual payload capacity of that unit along with its curb weight, axle ratings and GCWR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road