Airbag Light Headaches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jharri7140

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been banging my head against the wall trying to get my airbag light to go away. Initially I replaced my steering rack bushings and the wheel got out of alignment, leading to traction control throwing up the light, and then the airbag light popping up after grenading the clock spring. So I popped the wheel off and got it back to center, no more traction control light. And then I replaced the clock spring. But the light remained on, even after clearing the airbag codes with my scanner. But the clock spring code went away, what remains is the codes for both front impact sensors. (B0083 & B0084) So I replaced both of these sensors, making sure to pull the battery terminal off before, but still these codes remain. I also checked the resistance on these sensors (160k ohms). So I am pretty confident seeing as how the first sensors were untouched that these two codes must not be coming from the impact sensors themselves. Any idea what could be causing the 83 and 84 codes?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been banging my head against the wall trying to get my airbag light to go away. Initially I replaced my steering rack bushings and the wheel got out of alignment, leading to traction control throwing up the light, and then the airbag light popping up after grenading the clock spring. So I popped the wheel off and got it back to center, no more traction control light. And then I replaced the clock spring. But the light remained on, even after clearing the airbag codes with my scanner. But the clock spring code went away, what remains is the codes for both front impact sensors. (B0083 & B0084) So I replaced both of these sensors, making sure to pull the battery terminal off before, but still these codes remain. I also checked the resistance on these sensors (160k ohms). So I am pretty confident seeing as how the first sensors were untouched that these two codes must not be coming from the impact sensors themselves. Any idea what could be causing the 83 and 84 codes?
if the sensors test good then you need to test the vehicle harness portion as well. you could still have a open circuit, blown fuse, pinched wire, grounded wire, etc.
the srs system is self checking if the system is working correctly the light goes out, no amount of "clearing the code" will help. if a problem is detected light on, if no problem detected light out. the light will not just "stay on" if the system passes all testing. the only reason that would stay on otherwise is if you were in a accident and a airbag was deployed, in that case the srs module would not reset and would need to be either replaced or send out to a 3rd party to be cleared, gm will not do it. it's technically against the law because the srs module is the infamous black box recorder.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the two digit symptom codes after the B0083/4? It will either be, 00, 0F, 39,3A or 71. Each of them describes what exactly is wrong narrowing down the problem.

Did you buy used sensors and did you use the exact part number that came out of your vehicle?

OP
OP
J

jharri7140

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sensors were bought new, from research I have just learned that the srs system is looking for a certain amount of resistance from the impact sensors, I believe the 160k ohms checks out for that. But I didn’t know if anybody knew the spec range for these sensors resistance. What fuses are related to this system? And what is the best way to check this systems wiring? I will get back to you on the symptom codes, that will definitely be helpful in diagnosing this.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the owners manual shows the system fuses and/or the gm upfitter guide has a better fuse definition it will often show associated systems to a fuse that the owners manual does not. As for the system diagnostic ohm's etc you will need a to find a troubleshooting tree, if you can get the specific codes that usually points you right at it.

OP
OP
J

jharri7140

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok got around to checking the codes finally. I have a B0083_00 and a B0084_00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369