arc audio amp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridingagain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm getting Jl stealthbox for 2013 Tahoe.
I was going to add arc audio 5 channel amp since i'm also replacing door speakers. I see good reviews on arc audio and the size is good to go behind panel in jack compartment

The stealthbox spec mention 300 watt power handling. Wired for 2 ohm mono.
The 1100.5 amp I was looking at says sub channel at 2 ohms would be 500watts which I assume isn't good for the stealthbox
4 Channels @ 4 ohms (Ch 1-4) 150 Watts
4 Channels @ 2 ohms (Ch 1-4) 150 Watts
2 Channels @ 4 ohms (Ch 1-4) 300 Watts
1 Channel @ 4 ohms (Ch 5) 275 Watts
1 Channel @ 2ohms (Ch 5) 500 Watts

I noticed the 1200.6 has
4 Channels @ 4ohms (Ch 1-4) 150 Watts
4 Channels @ 2 ohms (Ch 1-4) 150 Watts
2 Channels @ 4 ohms (Ch 1-4 Bridged) 300 Watts
2 Channels @ 4 ohms (Ch 5-6) 150 Watts
2 Channels @ 2 ohms (Ch 5-6) 300 Watts
1 Channel @ 4 ohms (Ch 5-6 Bridged) 600 Watts

Am I correct that I could just use only one of the 2 sub channels (5 or 6) and only put out 300 watts so 1200.6 is a better match with the JL stealthbox and would give me more upgradability if I were to get bigger subs in the future?

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about the output wattage so much unless you plan to listen at maximum volume.

There is more of a danger using an under-powered amp and clipping the signal.

I know this doesn't answer your question per se, but if it was my system I would be mindful of the capability and just enjoy it.

Regards,

Mark

NOTE: My knowledge is with home audio, if I am TOMA tell me to FO. ;-)

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that I could just use only one of the 2 sub channels (5 or 6) and only put out 300 watts so 1200.6 is a better match with the JL stealthbox and would give me more upgradability if I were to get bigger subs in the future?
Correct. Buying an amp with a little more power than you want and keeping the gain down is always a better idea than buying a less powerful amp and turning it up to the max. It allows for future upgrades without buying all new equipment and also puts less strain on your amplifier. And yes, leaving a channel (or two or three or four) unused won't hurt anything.

If it were me (and this is an option with the stealthbox), I would buy a 4 ohm stealthbox, run channels 5 & 6 bridged, and set the gain around half.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Arc Audio IDX 1200.6 amp and your sub channel you bridge channels 5&6 you will get 600 watts 4 or 2 ohms. Roll the 1200.6- much better for the additional money. You will not find a better quality amp at this price point of $780-820.

It's also going to come down to which JL sub are you running? I started off with a JL 0V3-4 and wasn't happy. It requires less power though.

The small footprint is perfect to install under the 2nd row captains seats. I had a KickerIX 1000.5 prior to this. Arc XDI amps are the real deal!

I'm having it installed this week along with some Focal K2 165kr's running active and I ditched my Audiocontrol Lc6i LOC and went with an Audison Bit Ten D processor.

I'm running a JL 12" 3v3 4ohm sub in as sealed to JL specs box behind 3rd row.

OP
OP
R

ridingagain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the Arc Audio IDX 1200.6 amp and your sub channel you bridge channels 5&6 you will get 600 watts 4 or 2 ohms. Roll the 1200.6- much better for the additional money. You will not find a better quality amp at this price point of $780-820.

It's also going to come down to which JL sub are you running? I started off with a JL 0V3-4 and wasn't happy. It requires less power though.

The small footprint is perfect to install under the 2nd row captains seats. I had a KickerIX 1000.5 prior to this. Arc XDI amps are the real deal!

I'm having it installed this week along with some Focal K2 165kr's running active and I ditched my Audiocontrol Lc6i LOC and went with an Audison Bit Ten D processor.

I'm running a JL 12" 3v3 4ohm sub in as sealed to JL specs box behind 3rd row.

Are you just tapping into the stock speaker wiring or are you running all new speaker wire from amp to doors? I really don't want to mess with getting wire through the molex plugs and am hoping I could just run 16G from arc amp to stock bose amp location and tap into the speaker wires there. I'm using the 1200.6 amp with HAT clarus (fronts) and Imagine (rear) speakers. Do you know what guage the stock speaker wiring is? I installed the pioneer 4200nex today and already noticed a sound improvement and menu is easier to navigate than the stock nav system ('13 LTZ). Did you also sound dampen? I bought dynamat but after taking the door off, I'm not sure I want to mess with the barrier and cover the entire door. I may just put 12" square dampener behind speaker location and 6" or so around the speaker opening, then make ring from cutting board and mount speaker.

Last edited:

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to run new speaker wire- assuming your adding a 5 or 6 channel amp and using front and rear speakers. It's not that bad. I did it myself the first time around. Just takes some time.

I know there's plenty of YouTube videos for instruction- that's what I leaned on.

This time around being the price of the equipment in putting in- I wanted a professional install. The guy doing it is well known around the county for his tuning and installation abilities. I think he's ranked pretty high and has won several awards. It helps warranty and time wise for me. Plus tuning a Dsp like the Audison Bit Ten D for my active setup up correct/ worth it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius