Are all 6.0 GMC Denali's AWD? Longevity of AWD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads with my 04 Tahoe Z71 that will very soon roll over 300k miles on original engine and drivetrain, including trans. I'm looking at replacing the 5.3 with a 6.0, going thru the trans, replacing the front susp and steering to tighten everything up, new shocks, and tracking down the occasional mystery rotational grinding/growling from the rear brakes or axle. There are probably more things I'll need to attend to once I dive into the rebuild/refresh still to be found out. I'm up for the project, but also considering just dumping it and moving to a Denali.

My interest in the Denali is mostly that I'm after the 6.0 for towing purposes. A lot of the things I want to pull into the Tahoe refresh/rebuild are from the Denali, such as 6.0 and trans temp gauge on the cluster.

What is the longevity and mileage hit from your personal experience with the Denali AWD? Is the AWD system going to present problems once it has higher mileage?

Is a transfer case swap to the Denali to convert it from AWD to a selectable 4wd like the Tahoe Z71 has easy enough of a swap? Drop & swamp transfer cases and dash switch? Anyone converted a Denali previously?

Thanks in advance.

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD in 6.0 Denali is actually the same as in Escalade. It's the simplest and, respectively, the most reliable set up. Only 1 gear, no locks. Also, since the torque is split between front & rear axle at all times, less wear on the rear axle. My transfer case at 164000 miles is doing good. Yes, the chain is probably stretched a bit, but not critical.

I am actually have in mind another idea - when my TC dies, I will install the one from Hummer H2. It's a bolt on solution mechanically, but might need some electrical work, which I am very capable to do. This will give me a low range and a lock.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. So are all Denali's AWD? If I'm reading your reply correctly, is that saying that there is no Low Range in a Denali either? Even more so then why I'd want to convert away from the AWD system. I understand you are happy with the AWD system of the Denali/Escalade, but the shortcomings would steer me away from it.

I don't know what system GM used on these AWD's but there has to be something in the system like a viscous coupling to account for the difference in wheel speed between the 4 tires, so it does not lock up the transfer case when wheel speed is not exactly the same front to back. In other AWD vehicles that coupling always wears out over time and becomes troublesome in higher mileage situations. Second, an AWD vehicle will have lower MPG than a 2wd(selectable 4wd) due to the drivetrain loss of spinning AWD. With the amount of miles I drive, and the fact that the Tahoe is my "mission mobile," I would want the higher mileage of selectable 4wd over the AWD system. Lastly, AWD vehicles tend to be a little harder on front tires. For all those reasons, if I end up in a Denali I'd be looking at converting it over to selectable 4wd.

Has this type of selectable 4wd conversion been pulled off on a Denali previously? How difficult of a swap is it, if it has?

If you have a Denali, have you had problems with the AWD system that led to costly repairs, and if so, at what mileage?

You mentioned the H2. What type of 4wd system is in that vehicle?

Thanks again.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, If you're buying the same model its better to keep what you have, and fix the problems unless they are ridiculously not worth it. Even if its lower mileage you never know how its been taken care of or what the problems truly are until you own it for a while. Lower mileage doesn't mean it won't have the exact same problems or even worse than you have now.

If you like it enough that you want to keep it, and are willing to put the money in it, now is the time to improve it a little and make it a little more custom to how YOU want YOUR vehicle. If you really like your suspension you can replace it stock, or you can drop it, raise it, stiffen it up, etc.. all for about the same price. You could find a low mileage 6.0 to put in, you could rebuild your 5.3 and up the power, (or if you were a super genius you could plan for and get a FI setup). You could spend a little more than the stock trans and upgrade that.

The HD cluster with that gauge is $200 always on ebay. Not sure where you are, but I always see those and escalades being parted.

Just to make sure, is there no interest in a 6.0 RWD escalade?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying in that I know the history for the last 5 years on the bird in the hand. I've been having this struggle for a few months now between fixing my known junk or just buying new unknown junk and hope for the best. I haven't had much luck at all finding a low mileage 6.0....yet. But with me being in Socal, the motorhead and custom build center of the USA there is a lot of competition for take out engines.

Adriver, where are you located? Is that Escalade a parts vehicle or a solid replacement vehicle? I'd possibly be interested. Thank you.

Back to the first inquiry.....what is the longevity of the AWD system on a Denali? Are they prone to problems or rock solid?

Has a selectable 4wd conversion been pulled off on a Denali?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a specific one in mind. I am in Phoenix. I see them often enough though.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denali AWD is tough to beat. The mileage isn’t great but they can pull like crazy and are hard to get stuck. What year are you looking for? Miles? Price? I’m on the other side of the country but I’ll poke around

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a specific one in mind. I am in Phoenix. I see them often enough though.

Ok, I thought you were offering a vehicle you had that I could use for parts on mine.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denali AWD is tough to beat. The mileage isn’t great but they can pull like crazy and are hard to get stuck. What year are you looking for? Miles? Price? I’m on the other side of the country but I’ll poke around

Yeah, I'm sure they're great, but for my amount of driving, I'd prefer to have the selectable 4wd so that 99% of my miles are in 2wd. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Potius