Are the 2021+ Tahoes that much better than a 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the guys that had a 2015-2020 Tahoe, and then upgraded to a 2021+ Tahoe. Are they that much improved, are you glad you upgraded? I currently have a 2020 Tahoe Midnight Edition Z71 with 51K miles. I love it, but have been thinking of trading it in on a 2024 Z71. Doesn't look like they offer the Midnight Edition any longer. I know the 2021+ are a bit longer, have a better suspension, and the 10 speed trans, but I really like the body style of my 2020. Looking at things like trade in value now vs waiting, maintenance costs, etc. I know this is fairly suggestive, but are the 2021+ Tahoes worth the cost of the upgrade, or should I just keep my 2020?

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion. I had a 2020 suburban on order, to my specs. Premier, 6.2 etc. it came into the dealership, just after the first of the 21 Tahoes were coming in. I had test drove the 21 Tahoes. Premier, high country. My impressions were and still are that the front of the 21 plus looks way better than the 20 but rear of the 20 looks better than the 21 plus.
I walked away from the 20 burb to order a 21 Tahoe premier. I was happy enough with the 21 Tahoe. It was longer and had some more tech stuff that I liked. I was disappointed in the lack of led rear lights and the inability to change the bulbs. And I wasn’t as trusting of the limited slip rear, as I was of the older g80, I believe it was called. But that was all my concerns, the rest of the 21 plus was great. The ride is better, the engine/transmission Combo was and still is fantastic. The way the 21 plus stands on the road is fantastic too. This thing hugs the road like a sports car. I’ve since upgraded to a 24 Tahoe with a 6.2 liter premier, from the 5.3 liter premier. My ONLY gripe is the lack of led rear lights and the change to the google navigation system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just my opinion. I had a 2020 suburban on order, to my specs. Premier, 6.2 etc. it came into the dealership, just after the first of the 21 Tahoes were coming in. I had test drove the 21 Tahoes. Premier, high country. My impressions were and still are that the front of the 21 plus looks way better than the 20 but rear of the 20 looks better than the 21 plus.
I walked away from the 20 burb to order a 21 Tahoe premier. I was happy enough with the 21 Tahoe. It was longer and had some more tech stuff that I liked. I was disappointed in the lack of led rear lights and the inability to change the bulbs. And I wasn’t as trusting of the limited slip rear, g80, I believe it was called. But that was all my concerns, the rest of the 21 plus was great. The ride is better, the engine/transmission Combo was and still is fantastic. The way the 21 plus stands on the road is fantastic too. This thing hugs the road like a sports car. I’ve since upgraded to a 24 Tahoe with a 6.2 liter premier, from the 5.3 liter premier. My ONLY gripe is the lack of led rear lights and the change to the google navigation system.
Thanks, appreciate it.

djnice

Reaction score
I walked away from the 20 burb to order a 21 Tahoe premier. I was happy enough with the 21 Tahoe. It was longer and had some more tech stuff that I liked. I was disappointed in the lack of led rear lights and the inability to change the bulbs. And I wasn’t as trusting of the limited slip rear, as I was of the older g80, I believe it was called. But that was all my concerns, the rest of the 21 plus was great. The ride is better, the engine/transmission Combo was and still is fantastic. The way the 21 plus stands on the road is fantastic too. This thing hugs the road like a sports car. I’ve since upgraded to a 24 Tahoe with a 6.2 liter premier, from the 5.3 liter premier. My ONLY gripe is the lack of led rear lights and the change to the google navigation system.
Since you’ve driven both engines, and I assume you drive them the same. How do they compare performance and gas mileage in your opinion?

I am tempted to trade for the 6.2, but not sure it’s worth it for me.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power in the 6.2 is noticeable. But unless you’re driving a lot on highway or towing, it’s unnecessary. I get 22-23 on the highway and 14 in local city driving. But the power is less noticeable in city driving as you can only go but so fast. The 5.3 is no slouch and more than adequate for everyday use.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sat in one, that was all it took, hard no
combined with all the tech issue's, no thanks give me one and I would turn around and sell it and buy a 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bostongeorge