Binding at full lock in Auto4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stoopid question.... Bought the Tahoe last October. Love the truck, it's since become my wife's vehicle. I had the front differential rebuilt last December because it sounded loud. There was only one bearing that showed any wear and it is not much quieter now than it was then.

Anyway, 4WD works and Auto4WD worked the couple times I used it since the diff's been rebuilt. It's very convenient for my wife, it's a no brainer on her part.

The other morning it snowed a little so before she headed off to work I put the Tahoe into Auto4WD. When she got home I noticed she had put it back into 2Hi. I asked her why, and she said it was jerking when she was leaving the parking spot at Krogers.

I took it out tonight and running down the road and normal turns it does not bind up. I turned into Burger King and did a slow full lock turn. It felt OK at first, but then felt like something grabbed and let go, and then repeated it a second time..by that time I was going straight again. It seemed to be at a steady speed... meaning the same distance traveled between each thump.

I am telling myself it's normal since the front diff is locked and maybe it's supposed to do that, but it really does make a person think something is not right with it.

Does anyone else's Tahoe, Suburban, 1500 do this when in Auto? I can't afford another repair on the front diff. It's not even been a year, and I had to pull it myself and reinstall it when I had it rebuilt.

Thanks!