Bizarre Electric Seat Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemesis

Reaction score
This started yesterday. When I shut off my Tahoe, the seat motors itself all the way forward. In addition, the memory will not program and the seat controls are now backwards. When I move the switch forward, it goes back and when I move the switch back, it goes forward.

Anyone seen this before?

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, something similar. When I put mine back, it only goes about halfway and stops. Then, instead of moving the lever back, I have to do the opposite and move it forward, and the seat will keep going backward! As long as noone touches the seat, I'm good. I disabled the keyless entry seat position, and the exit seat position so nothing moves it unless I do it!

I was actually in the drivers seat one time and my wife used her clicker to unlock the door, so the seat tried to move to memory location 2, and when that happens, the seat moves all the way forward by itself! And you can't stop it!! I was moving levers, etc, nothing happened until it finished cramming me into the steering wheel! I would have been pissed except the wife and kids were laughing so hard I couldn't stay mad. I actually had to have my wife come to the drivers side and move the lever because I was too pinned to move it back myself!

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
Yes, something similar. When I put mine back, it only goes about halfway and stops. Then, instead of moving the lever back, I have to do the opposite and move it forward, and the seat will keep going backward! As long as noone touches the seat, I'm good. I disabled the keyless entry seat position, and the exit seat position so nothing moves it unless I do it!

What was the process to disable these?

I was actually in the drivers seat one time and my wife used her clicker to unlock the door, so the seat tried to move to memory location 2, and when that happens, the seat moves all the way forward by itself! And you can't stop it!! I was moving levers, etc, nothing happened until it finished cramming me into the steering wheel! I would have been pissed except the wife and kids were laughing so hard I couldn't stay mad. I actually had to have my wife come to the drivers side and move the lever because I was too pinned to move it back myself!

This is exactly what happens when I shut off the Tahoe. It moves the seat all the way forward and pins you in. The first time it happened yesterday my wife was tearing up from laughing so hard. I am now getting out of the car before I shut it down...

Does anyone know what needs to be replaced to fix this permanently?

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 03 z71 and has the steering wheel buttons and digital display. Somewhere in one of those menus, there were settings for the remote feedback, or seat memory and something about exit settings. I'll check when I get in next time if you can't find it.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Sure does make you feel helpless when the seat is trying to crush your ribs against the steering wheel isn't it! I just remember thinking "it can't go much farther...can it?" Sounds like some sort of "feature" a female GM engineer came up with to kick in after so many years just to give our wives a laugh!

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
Mine is an 03 z71 and has the steering wheel buttons and digital display. Somewhere in one of those menus, there were settings for the remote feedback, or seat memory and something about exit settings. I'll check when I get in next time if you can't find it.

Found it, everything is now shut off. Thanks!

Sure does make you feel helpless when the seat is trying to crush your ribs against the steering wheel isn't it! I just remember thinking "it can't go much farther...can it?" Sounds like some sort of "feature" a female GM engineer came up with to kick in after so many years just to give our wives a laugh!

It was pretty damn funny.

Now the passenger seat is stuck is the tilted all the way up position.... Sigh...

Also, I spoke with the dealer prior to the passenger seat crapping out. He said the issue is a seat memory module issue, which should be solved with a PCM reflash.

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck is occasionally doing this, but most often to my wife's seat settings. It's annoying because she can't use the seat memory which was one of our favorite features on this truck as we are very different in heights. The seat forward/backward buttons are the only ones that seem to be reversed. I actually took my seat out last weekend to work on my failed seat heaters...found many burn spots on the pad...and I was hoping that I might find a pinched or frayed wire but no such luck. Put the seat back in and it's still backwards.

Did you happen to ask how much it would cost to get the PCM flashed? I don't have any experience with that, is it a big deal to do or have done?

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
My truck is occasionally doing this, but most often to my wife's seat settings. It's annoying because she can't use the seat memory which was one of our favorite features on this truck as we are very different in heights. The seat forward/backward buttons are the only ones that seem to be reversed. I actually took my seat out last weekend to work on my failed seat heaters...found many burn spots on the pad...and I was hoping that I might find a pinched or frayed wire but no such luck. Put the seat back in and it's still backwards.

Did you happen to ask how much it would cost to get the PCM flashed? I don't have any experience with that, is it a big deal to do or have done?

I did not ask. I actually haven't fixed this issue. Once I shut off the automatic seat adjustment, it really wasn't an issue. If you end up fixing yours, please post the resolution.

jdl_131

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just called the dealer and they said they charge a $92 diagnostic fee and that they would be able to re-flash in the amount of time allotted for diagnostic. I also just read another thread on this site about checking the ground connections for the BCM and the PCM, this sounds like a distinct possibility for me since my radio occasionally doesn't turn on either. My only problem is that I don't know where those grounds would be, I've already checked at the battery but where else would connections be?

Thanks for your quick reply BTW!

UBILLN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am having this same problem with my Tahoe, turned off all the auto adjustments but would also like to know what the fix is for this once someone has done it.

It just happened one day, nothing else wierd going on when it happened. But now it will do it anytime the auto adjustment settings are turned back on.