Blacking out taillights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sopethree

Reaction score
I would love to know how to tint my taillights the "right way". i notice alot of blacked out taillights look perfect and shiny. mine are flat looking and have weird paint variation. help!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience the ones done with with a rattle can like VHT turn faded, dull, and purple. A friend of mine who paints did mine by mixing some black paint into alot clear. They turned out shiny and have not faded at all.

OP
OP
sopethree

sopethree

Reaction score
yep. exactly. i used that night shade shit and it just lookes a little wierd from up close. i do not have the ability to mix paints and stuff tho. mabey i will just go with covers.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
I have a thread on this but I used rustoleum lens tint its actually pretty glossy..... Theres someone on here who blacked there's out with it and didn't use clear came out really nice

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
WAY better than VHT nite shade!!!
I will never use VHT again I used it once on my front turn signals and took it off almost instantly
everyone that uses it gets a dull finish even if they use clear coat and wet sand
but Rustoleum comes out so glossy and has the same tint effect as nite shade.. straight out of the can

I wetsanded the stock turn signal just to get it smooth then shot on the lens tint and this is how it came out
IMG_9011.jpg

and back when I had my tail lights done with the lens tint
IMG_8786.jpg

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
I had mine done by a shop that does them Basically they just put black paint in the clear and then clear the hell out of it..

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of mine that were done the same way as BlackedoutLT3's except we did not clear over them just the clear that was part of the mix...
IMAG0016.jpg

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of mine that were done the same way as BlackedoutLT3's except we did not clear over them just the clear that was part of the mix...
IMAG0016.jpg

Yates did you ever get G4 LED tails smoked or are those just the stock yukon tails?

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

I had mine done by a shop that does them Basically they just put black paint in the clear and then clear the hell out of it..

who tinted your tails? Might tint my tails and sell them so I can buy those G5 LED Tails :)

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yates did you ever get G4 LED tails smoked or are those just the stock yukon tails?

They are the stock ones. Light output is pretty good for how dark they turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925