Break in Period?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaletti

Reaction score
Hey guys, so heres my situation

Bought a brand new tahoe about 5 days ago. Unfortunately day after i bought it had to leave and go to Miami, and didn't want to bring the truck with me in case anything happened. So trucks sitting at my house in palm beach, no big deal. I'm about to go back soon, and then i'll be driving it up to school in Orlando, about a 2 1/2 hour drive, about 170 miles.
I read the owners manual front to back, and it clearlyy states: For the first 500 miles do not exceed 65 mph and do not travel at a consistant speed.

Well, this poses something of an inconvenience for me... the speed limit on the highway is 70 mph, and i can't go the same speed?? so i'm going to have to go from 65 to 50 back up to 65 the entire trip? kind of isn't safe, and quite annoying lol. Think ignoring the break in period recommendations is a bad idea?

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine brand new, and I never took that into consideration "the first 500 miles do not exceed 65 mph and do not travel at a consistant speed". I drove it normally, and nothing until @ 20k my transmission blew out. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, got a new tranny installed, and I did the same, no problems, now I'm at 90k. So I guess it all comes with luck, or bad luck. Welcome aboard newbie, you have a Happy New Year. Good Luck. At least you got OnStar, in case of anything.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the scenic route. For 500 miles it'll suck, but it'll pay off in the end with the longevity.

The piston rings need to seat properly, and if you're cruising, you aren't putting any work on the motor. Therefore, there isn't enough pressure on the engine to properly seat the seals. This is why you need an oil change within 5000 miles of buying the car. There is oil going into the cylinders until the piston rings seat properly.

Like I said, scenic route.

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the diff between driving 55 and driving 70 over 170 miles .....40 minutes at the most?

Go ahead and ignore them. What do those engineers know?

As a student, your leisure time is obviously much more valuable than protecting your engine.

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always made sure I followed the manual. It does suck but once done you will fell better that you did it.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key is constantly varying the engine RPM's and thus the whole drive train. When an engine is breaking in the main thing happening is the piston rings seating. A constant speed sets up inside the cylinder walls an "upper and lower limit". Later on when you start exceeding those parameters (and you will) the rings start hitting on those ridges you wore in by using a constant speed and the upper and lower rings become weakened, damaged or slightly deformed. Yes, it's only a few tenthousands of an inch; but then again you engine was built with tolerances of a few tenthousands of an inch.

No one can tell you how to drive.....after all it's YOUR investment.

OP
OP
J

Jaletti

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice

and please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to neglect my investment as people put, not trying to question the engineers as someone else put, and not trying to think i know more than anyone

"What's the diff between driving 55 and driving 70 over 170 miles .....40 minutes at the most?

Go ahead and ignore them. What do those engineers know?

As a student, your leisure time is obviously much more valuable than protecting your engine.

Was simply wondering if this was just a precautionary statement that the manual put out, or if it actually had a function. now that i know about the seating of the piston rings, the answer is simple. Scenic route it is
thanks guys

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drive it....Id change the oil at 1000 miles but just drive it like you would every day...

FWIW i was doing 120 within 2 miles of leaving the dealer in the tbss when i got it..Then made a 1200 mile trip with only 250 miles on it..Had almost 40k on it when it was traded and there was nothing wrong with the drivetrain...

The engine wont fully "break in" for several thousand miles anyway.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg