Clunks, Shakes, and MAF Issues on 03 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SchwabVang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, i'm not 100% sure if this thread belongs in general discussion so please move it to the right section if it is not.
So my mom owns a Chevy Tahoe 03 and it's been having a few mechanical issues. I live in Minnesota so if that has anything to do with any of my problems then please notify me! Hate Salt. *Keep to note, this car is for emergency uses only due to having other cars to drive.

Clunks:
From the extent of my knowledge, the Tahoe has been making these clunk noise underneath the truck for about a year now. Today, I got a chance to drive the Tahoe around and as I notice when I put the car in reverse it made a "CLUNK" as it went into gear. I reversed smoothly out of my drive way after the noise, and then put the car in drive and I heard another "CLUNK" (Putting the car in Drive only sometimes made it Clunk). As I was heading to the store, it seemed like every stop sign or street light that made me brake was causing the truck to have "Multiple Clunks" before actually coming to a complete stop. When accelerating from a stop the car would also "Sometimes have Multiple Clunks" as well. The clunks are definitely coming from the bottom of the car. I've done a little bit of research online and it seems to me that the culprit could be a "Slip Yolk or a U-Joint." I'm kind of wondering where I should start from and what is the most probable reason for this annoying "CLUNK?" It's annoying even typing it.

Shakes:
About 2 - 3 months ago my brother drove the Tahoe on the freeway and mentioned that the car was shaking around 65+mph. The tires were very bare at the time so we got them replaced at our local Tires Plus. We bought brand new tires and had them installed just to find out that the car was still shaking around that 65+mph. So when I drove it today, it was vibrating very hard at 65+mph. I can tell that the vibrating was starting around 60mph. At 60mph it started off slow and then as I gradually gained speed around 65mph it was vibrating hard and you can hear the entire car vibrating while driving. I know the first thing to look at is the balanace but, even after getting new tires the same old problem still persist. Does it have to do with poor service from Tires Plus or what could be another problem that will create this?

MAF:
I'll try to keep this one short for yall! Warm Spring through Fall the car has no idle issues. When the cold weather comes, sometimes the car has idle issues at stops. The car would idle around 2k or a little less and then all a sudden drop to 1k and lower and almost kill the car. Sometimes it even drops low enough to kill the car. Would this most likely be due to a bad MAF sensor?

Thanks to all that help put in a input!

Last edited:

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck?
Is it 2wd or 4wd?

Clunks: check your driveshaft u-joints
Shakes: could still be your driveshaft u-joints (driveshaft vibrating when spinning at highway speeds)
MAF: does this happen only when the truck is first running? In other words, does this issue still persist after the motor is warm and the temp gauge is around 200?

Reaction score
Yeup I agree with clandr, definitely U joints, have them apply silicone grease to the slip yoke since there going to have it off, you should start off by having the Throttle body cleaned up, and there also may be a possibility of some type of unregistered air getting past the MAF (vacuum leak )

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
naturally just throwing parts is not a great idea. but after some research, I did just get a new MAF put in yesterday. immediately got rid of the inconsistent idle goofyness that I had been seeing in the colder months. in addition, throttle sees more responsive and fuel milage has gone back up a decent amount.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
typically i would say the shakes at 65 mph was out of balance tires and even persist that it was. the reason is that ive had discount install and improperly balance a new set of tires and after a 2nd trip back stick the old weights back on wich later fell off causing me to come back a 3rd time.
with drive shaft problems typically youd also notice during freeway driving is when you let off the gas completely at higher speeds youd notice a clunk and a clunk when you put your foot back on the gas thus indicating significant play some where in your drivetrain

OP
OP
S

SchwabVang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry everyone, I had a reply for this thread but must've been se issue in not posting it. The Tahoe has 160,000 miles on it and is a 4wd. The car is currently in the shop because the car was rear ended and had a bent frame. But I will touch bases with you guys about it and confirm if these issues were the ones you all suggested. Thankfully here in Minnesota the weather is starting to rise! We making our way back to the 30s and 40s! Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian