Crank and Cam Positioning Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While I'm replacing the engine should these sensors be replaced or just reuse the Originals?
I definitely don't want to go back and replace the old crank sensor behind the starter a few thousand miles down the road, so though it wise to replace them all now.

Will a relearn need to be done regardless as it is a different block, crank, and cam or luck of the draw that it all matches up?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm. The original sensors seem to be very good and don't commonly fail.

I replaced my cam sensor from AAP (BWD brand IIRC) on my 06 Suburban a few years ago because it had a very small leak. Hindsight, I should have taken the time to simply figure out the O-ring size it had and replace that. I did retain my original sensor to do that down the road and have it as a spare...

A few months ago I completely tore down that same engine for a freshen up. I reinstalled the aftermarket new-ish cam sensor and the original crank sensor. No issues.

I didn't need to do the relearn in any of my cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1