Custom IPhone Dock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benztrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal. I got a new IPhone for my birthday, and couldn't find a charging dock I liked. All I need is to charge, I have bluetooth for everything else. So I came up with this in car docking station......

Started with the cup holder out of the center console, a single IPhone dock, charger cable, and a plastic electric outlet box.

iphone11.jpg
iphone12.jpg
iphone13.jpg
iphone1.jpg

I cut a slot out of the front of the cup holder to fit the charger through...

iphone2.jpg

Then cut the electrical outlet box to make a plastic "L" shaped shelf....

iphone1.jpg

Then cut slots in the cup holder to slide the new shelf into (the tighter the fit, the more stable the shelf will be when you're done).....

iphone3.jpg
iphone4.jpg

Then I drilled holes in the back of the shelf, for the epoxy to seep though (in the next step)....

iphone8.jpg

Then slide the shelf into place, use plastic expoxy on the back side to stick to 2 together forever....

iphone5.jpg
iphone9.jpg

I used thin clear velcro to hold the dock to the shelf, and now I have a built in charging dock for your IPhone/ IPod.....

iphone7.jpg

I have another 12V outlet mounted under my dash from my gps install to use for power. I dont like to see wires anywhere, hince the reason I didn't just want a "CHARGER" laying on the console.

I'll get pics inside the truck tomorrow. By the time I got around to doing this it was already dark tonight. But I think you get the idea. Would like to find the dock in black to better blend in with the cup holder.

Here are the pics aftersunrise this morning.....

iphone17.jpg

iphone15.jpg

iphone16.gif

iphone14.jpg

Last edited:

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Nice mod, much better than seeing cords... Especially if it is stable enough to keep the phone in place over bumps, etc.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im still confused as to what the white box is...cant make it out from the pics. you said some sort of electrical box?

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
im still confused as to what the white box is...cant make it out from the pics. you said some sort of electrical box?

Its an apple docking station that your iphone just docks into.

I have an iphone too and just charge it in the cig lighter. Not sure I want to cut up the cup holders just to replace the phones car charger.

Looks good but not for me.

OP
OP
B

benztrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The little white box is the charging cradle from Apple for the IPhone.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Nice mod, much better than seeing cords... Especially if it is stable enough to keep the phone in place over bumps, etc.

Yeah, I rode around with it just sitting on the upper part of the console for a couple days to make sure it was stable enough before cutting anything. Works REALLY good.

On another note: the only thing I ever keep in the little cubby area is the gate card for my suddivision entrance, and it still fits on both sides of the bracket.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at what you did, you could have saved your apple stand and just used the charger cable flushed in the bottom.

For your color issue:
A light sand with 1000 grit or a scotchbrite pad to provide some tooth, and you can spray that with Fusion satin black

something I built in my last vehicle to hold an Ipod nano 4g, using an existing recess in the dash, the 4gs included adapter, scrap clamshell packaging and super glue, a file and a little patience.

DSC_0012.gif

DSC_0010.gif

DSC_0004-1.gif

DSC_0005.gif

DSC_0003.gif

DSC_0001-1.gif

I later reused most of it and the same technique to build an indash dock behind a switch blank in my wife's Jetta so she can just plug and unplug her nano. When not in use, the switch blank still covers it. no pics of that one at the moment, though.

I'm looking around now for a place to install a dock for my iphone/nano4g in the tahoe, so thanks for this idea. I need to go see if the iphone will fit in the glovebox recess.

Last edited:

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty good write up...could this be moved to the tech/write up section?

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work Benztrk! but I would do like eagle said and sand it then paint it black.
Eagle I like how yours turned out too.
I was thinking about doing something like that with mine a while back but I didn't plan on having my Jensen headunit as long as I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou