Dash paint peels off like a bad sunburn!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rms25thta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I now have the dash pieces all off and ready to finish. The original problem was some of the paint was coming off the dash pad. Once I got it off, I put some thinner on a rag and just wiped the surface. I peeled all of the paint off the dash pad like a bad sunburn. Some of the pieces were bigger than my hand. I have already painted and completed the dash pad, came out awesome! I was going to put it in the other night and when I started cleaning the lower pieces with a mixture of Mr.Clean and hot water, I was literally wiping the paint off the lower pieces and even peeling it like the dash pad. So at that point, the project got bigger and I had to take all the lower pieces off to get them right. Funny thing is, on the lower pieces, which is a lighter tan, under the paint is just light tan plastic almost the same exact shade as the paint on the piece. I have stripped a few of the small pieces and I really don't even think I have to paint them because they are perfect after I roll all that gummy paint off.

Have any of you had the same experience??

As far as the paint for the dash pad, I looked at the SEM products and even talked to them on the phone, sounds like good stuff but pricey. Due to budget, I did a bunch of research on the Krylon Fusion paints and decided to give it a try. I prepped the pad correctly and sprayed it with the Khaki color they make for their camo line, it is a great color. It is a very flat paint and sprayed on really well although I went through each can pretty quick. It dries very quick and had no color issues or runs. Once that was dry, I sprayed over the Khaki with the Fusion clear. I waited until the next day and lightly went over the clear with a grey 3m scotch brite pad to take the shine off. The end result was a nice satin sheen and looked exactly the way I was hoping it would. I can say that stuff really bites into the plastic. I tried to scratch it off and couldn't. Best part, I did the whole dash pad for around $20.00. You guys may be snickering at me for using this stuff but I am telling you the dash looks perfect! Once I get everything complete, I will post some pics.

Rich

OP
OP
R

rms25thta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't get anyone saying they had the same issue with the paint on their dash. Hopefully going to finish it up today and get things put back together.

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the same problem, just havent delt with it yet. previous owner thought it was bright idea to use a garden hose to apply copius amounts of armour all. thinking of wrapping the dash when i redo the whole interior, so not really an issue right now. so as long as i resist the urge to peel the sunburn, i will be ok for now.:)

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah armor all is never a good idea. and especially not on a painted dash. armor all was made back when people didnt know anybetter and thought vinyl needed to be greasy.

mr clean or any cleaner on ANY painted dash (which almost all of them are nowadays) is a horrible idea too. if they need to be cleaned, a wet micro fiber cloth shoudl be all thats needed. its not a high traffic area like the carpet, i cant see how a dash would get dirty enough to need to clean with cleaners unless its a trailer park style putting feet on the dash and party going on inside...

hope you like the krylon paint...i've never liked the end result anyone has ever shown me or what ive found. it always looks like a 50 cent spray can job.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have pics of this? I havent had the problem so far on the inside. I did put a couple clear coats on it though. My grill, gets some chips every now and then though.

2005yukonxl: Have you done any spray painting? What kind of paint have you used. I have always used the Krylon and was curious if there was a better brand. Thanks!

OP
OP
R

rms25thta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I used the Lysol because there was some really nasty 9 year old crud in the areas you couldn't clean when the dash pad was installed. Keep in mind, the original owner was an older guy and didn't really "detail" this truck. I am glad I did it, the pieces are now correct and look as good as new. As far as the paint looking like 50 cent spray can job, don't think so. My buddy that does paint work for a living stopped by today and was blown away at the result. Anyone can make a spray can look like shit. Only people that are willing to prep properly and finish it the right way can make a spray can look like it came out of a gun. Here are a few pics of what I have done so far. I painted the gauge bezel a metallic black.....yes from a can and it looks awesome.

Here is the paint peeling off:
sunburn.gif

Dash Pad in:
dash.gif

Gauge Bezel:
dash2.gif

Here is an extra......this complete paint job is from spray cans and is as smooth as glass!
EVH1.gif

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! I might have to change my color to black as well. I have it red right now but think it looks a bit tacky.

OP
OP
R

rms25thta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. It has taken a great deal of work to get all that shit off the pieces but well worth the effort when you see the end result. When I get it all done, I will get it outside and get some better pics to post.

Rich

Bigcat

Reaction score
is there any way to touch up a peeled part on the dash where the black underneath is showing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbers03