Denali in the OBX NC dunes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex944

Reaction score
Taking a trip to the Outer Banks in Sept. in a 2024 Denali with the Air Suspension and OE Bridestones.
Will be in Killdevil Hills for a couple days. Wife wants to see the wild horses on Corova beach.
If I air down the Bridgestones and use 4wd am I going to have any issues in the sand if we have to get into any of the looser deeper stuff ?
Have off road experience in LR Discovery's but no experience with this big thing off road. thx

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Taking a trip to the Outer Banks in Sept. in a 2024 Denali with the Air Suspension and OE Bridestones.
Will be in Killdevil Hills for a couple days. Wife wants to see the wild horses on Corova beach.
If I air down the Bridgestones and use 4wd am I going to have any issues in the sand if we have to get into any of the looser deeper stuff ?
Have off road experience in LR Discovery's but no experience with this big thing off road. thx
You should be fine the sand down the obx is pretty hard packed and usually the hardest part is actually getting through the dune/beach access once your on the beach your good. Lots of air stations to air your tires back up around there also if you don’t have one on hand

OP
OP
apex944

apex944

Reaction score
Thanks. The air stations was another question. Appreciate it.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Family and I have been going out for years and recently had our Suburban out there. It is a heavy vehicle but if you air down you will be fine. Remember to turn traction control off as it will cut power when the wheels spins.

Silverado4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just air down to 15-18 psi turn off TC and put in 4WD also don't stop quick or brake hard let the sand stop you, you will be surprised how quick the sand will slow you down. Make sure you air up when getting off the sand if you forget you could possibly slip the tire bead on the rim and then your tires will be out of balance. If you can bring a shovel just in case. I have been on those beaches several times and never had an issue.

OP
OP
apex944

apex944

Reaction score
On the 2024 I have it shows T/C disabled when I put it in "Offroad Mode" ... This one also has the mechanical LSD and 2 spd transfer case.

Sounds like you guys are familiar with the area. Is there a specific spot on Carova that we are most likely to see the horses in late Sept?

Coveman

Reaction score
once you drive north to Corolla, you may start to see the wild horses near the road. The cattleguard that is the boundary between Corolla and the open beach often gets so filled with sand that the horses walk right through. on the beach, the horses tend to hang out in the dunes where the sand is less well packed So keep your eyes open and I’m sure you’ll spot some!

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once drove my full size Bronco up to the oceanfront lot my parents had at Carova Beach. I didn't air down for it and struggled through the sand.

When I got into the little city up there I was surprised at the number of 2 wheel drive sedans and station wagons there. They all came and went on the beach because there was no paved road in.

From that trip I learned a lot more respect for airing down. Follow the advice above and you'll glide right along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1