Denali won't start...HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladimir1914

Reaction score
Well, tried everything thus far...I think it may be a bad fuel pump.

Got an 02 Yukon Denali with 118k on the dash. It cranks when i turn the key, but just won't turn over....i hear the engine trying to go but just wont turn over.

I first thought i was out of gas, so i put some in and still didn't start. So i remember one time when i put gas in, the fuel gages was going a il crazy and even showed i had no gas in there?!?! So with that in mind, can it be the Fuel pump thats bad????

If so, where can i get one? Do Advance auto or Napa sell them?

thank in advance for your assistance!

Vlad

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you buy the fuel pump, borrow a fuel pressure gauge from the parts store and check the pressure. also, try banging on the tank a few times, see if the truck fires up briefly after that. if you have no pressure, just pick the pump up from local parts store. i bought mine at advance auto for just under $300. you can find them on ebay for around $250 if you have the time to order and wait for delivery

Reaction score
Check the battery

before you buy the fuel pump, borrow a fuel pressure gauge from the parts store and check the pressure. also, try banging on the tank a few times, see if the truck fires up briefly after that. if you have no pressure, just pick the pump up from local parts store. i bought mine at advance auto for just under $300. you can find them on ebay for around $250 if you have the time to order and wait for delivery

If it doesnt turn over check your battery, hook jumper cables on and jum it so it can actually turn over.

OP
OP
vladimir1914

vladimir1914

Reaction score
If it doesnt turn over check your battery, hook jumper cables on and jum it so it can actually turn over.

I did this first and thought it was my battery...but to no luck, it didn't work. It still didn't turn over

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Ohhhh, I'm definitely trying this asap before gettin the Fuel pump.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this first and thought it was my battery...but to no luck, it didn't work. It still didn't turn over

When you say it doesn't "turn over", are you referring to that it turns over but won't start or that the motor won't even move (turn over)? I'm guessing that it won't start (fire up) due to the fact you are talking about fuel delivery as to that won't keep a truck from actually turning over!! Kind of confusing what exactly your problem is unless you define that better!!

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'd guess fuel pump, but try what others have mentioned.

I agree with Riviera, it sounds like you're getting your terms a bit backward. Turning over just means the starter cranks the engine. It doesn't mean it starts up, but is trying. Firing up is when you have gas and spark and ignition and it all comes together and actually starts the engine up, which is where you sound like you're having the problem.

OP
OP
vladimir1914

vladimir1914

Reaction score
When you say it doesn't "turn over", are you referring to that it turns over but won't start or that the motor won't even move (turn over)? I'm guessing that it won't start (fire up) due to the fact you are talking about fuel delivery as to that won't keep a truck from actually turning over!! Kind of confusing what exactly your problem is unless you define that better!!

My bad, guess i was getting my words/meanings mixed. When i turn the key, the motor moves but doesn't fire up. If i hold the key over for 3 seconds, it'll do the same.

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for fuel delivery system check.

did it run funny when you drove it last? my fuel pump went out at 80mph in my esco, we drove for about 5-7 min before we pulled off the road, and even then it ran - stumbled and studdered, but i was able to drive al the way to a mechanic shop. then it shit the bed and that was that. $1000 punch in the mouth the day after christmas....

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Like being said, probably fuel pump. Quick check on fuel pump, put key in ignition, to accessory, but don't start it, listen for a humming noise coming from the gas tank. If no noise, fuel pump isn't starting. Easy check for fuel pump operation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus