Different oil for high mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at O'reilly's yesterday and they recommended that for a truck with as many miles as mine (217k), that i start using like 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 like it says on the oil cap, which i've been using. should i use the 10w?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told to try the same weight of oil I've been using but to try the high mileage oil that's sold the next time I do my oil change!! I haven't done it yet though!!

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure far as weight goes but I use Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic and I am at 180,8XX. I really like but it can be a little pricey. I always look for a combo deal at the parts store. Saves me over $25 to do it myself.

OP
OP
DaUsedMCR

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a bit weird they told me to up the weight, but they are usually knowledgeable at the store i go to. I have read good things about Valvoline Maxlife, and i only use synthetic, so i think ill give Maxlife Full Synthetic a try next time, with the wix filter i always use unless mobile 1's r on sale. I've read good things about the maxlife. I've also heard it helps stop leaks and condition seals. it is a bit expensive, but ill try to save a couple bucks by ordering it on amazon with free shipping (i have amazon prime)

Ivanhoe

Reaction score
Hi

I get family deal (i.e. free) from the in law's shop . I use whatever decent brand oil is there but always synthetic because mines has just breezed past 220,000km (136,000miles) and its getting chilly here in Canada. Its better for the cold starts i believe and we do a lot of miles in the ** so i thought i'd look after my baby.

I have always used Synthetic in my vehicles regardless of mileages and have been quite fortunate to avoid any engine issues...plenty of attached issues but the motors usually run good lols

i do 10,000 km between changes (6000 miles)

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I would continue the 5 30 until yoy notice it is getting loose then swao to 10 for the heavier oil