Do it myself stereo install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the 2012's SLT stock sterio package is the sterio connections basically harnesses in the back that are plug and plays?
Looking to do a touch screen sterio install myself with all proper parts of course.
I have no experience installing aftermarket sterio's.
Think it's something I could do?
Or would I be better off having a shop do it?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind but I fixed the spelling in your thread title from 'sterio' to 'stereo' ... this is a personal demon that I'm working on, but until I slay it (which won't be today) I would like to be able to sleep tonight. :insane:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 2012's SLT stock sterio package is the sterio connections basically harnesses in the back that are plug and plays?
Looking to do a touch screen sterio install myself with all proper parts of course.
I have no experience installing aftermarket sterio's.
Think it's something I could do?
Or would I be better off having a shop do it?
If you buy the correct adapters and modules and can connect a-to-b-to-c then yes

OP
OP
ABN45

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind but I fixed the spelling in your thread title from 'sterio' to 'stereo' ... this is a personal demon that I'm working on, but until I slay it (which won't be today) I would like to be able to sleep tonight. :insane:
Nope don't mind bud.
OCD spelling huh? Lol.
Yes I know my spelling sucks but then again I still make more than a spelling teacher( Ms.Kask, eat your heart out. You always told me if you can't spell, you will never have a good job)

OP
OP
ABN45

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go to www.crutchfield.com and see what fits your vehicle and advice about features and what's needed for an install. They can solder most of the harnesses you'll need, and provide instructions on the install if you buy the stereo from them.
I was just visiting that site. I didn't know that they can actually solder in most of the harness. Much much easier.
Will there be a selection to have the harness soldered in I take it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @Fless recommended, once you've figured out your requirements (head unit features and phone interconnection) and established a budget for your stereo project, give the folks at Crutchfield a call and talk to them. They absolutely will lead you in the right direction for the head unit, along with any required adapters/interfaces, which will make your installation as simple as possible. And, pricewise, they are very competitive.

OP
OP
ABN45

ABN45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. I have settled on 2 possibilities.
I'm open to suggestions as well as what might have a better touch screen,better interface, screens that have diferent light outputs for the real sunny days and need to adjust them to be able to see the screen better, better quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starnuts28

Latest posts