EGR/VVT Sys and EVAP Sys Monitors Incomplete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is time for my state inspection and they hook up an OBDII scanner to the car during that inspection. I have EGR/VVT Sys Incomplete and EVAP Sys Incomplete in the I/M monitors. I am allowed to have one or the other monitor incomplete, but not both. I changed the battery in the car shortly before taking it in to the get the inspection, and apparently that resets all of these monitors and they have to go through some sort of internal test to show "ok". The guy at the test center says that he sees this all the time, and that I just need to drive it, maybe as much as 1500 miles to get the test to run. That seems suspect to me. I have gone online and found a number of "procedures" that all vary slightly for completing a drive cycle, which is supposed to make the ECM do these tests. I have been messing with this for several days now, doing all of these drive cycles, and I get nowhere.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there some way to force the test? Is there a drive cycle procedure unique to these vehicles that I haven't found?

Any advise would be appreciated as I need to get this inspection complete by the end of the month.

Joe

BattleTank

Reaction score
GM does have a drive cycle. There are various sources online that you can follow to perform this.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Range Technology link below shows the very thorough procedure to get the EVAP monitors to set. I have to say that mine set long before I would get through the process, so don't let the list intimidate you. Yours might set fast.

For starters, be sure the Cold Start parameters are met before performing it; otherwise you're wasting your time.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range Technology link below shows the very thorough procedure to get the EVAP monitors to set. I have to say that mine set long before I would get through the process, so don't let the list intimidate you. Yours might set fast.

For starters, be sure the Cold Start parameters are met before performing it; otherwise you're wasting your time.

This is probably what I need. Far more detailed then the other sources I have seen, and I think the devil is probably in those details. I will try this in the morning and report back. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap