Electric Fan Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 09 LT that has the factory electric radiator fans. Recently, I have been hearing the fan kick on even though the engine is cold, like just starting for the day. Normally, I don't hear this fan unless its a hot day and I have been idling a lot. So, I am thinking something may be at fault. normal operating temperature has been sticking around 200 deg.

What are some probable causes for this symptons and what diagnostics would you suggest to determine if there is a problem?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

just adding more info

It is the high cooling fan that comes on. It does it at startup, then shuts down,. And t does it while driving, on off. So, its not constantly on, just off and on. if its running when I turn off the engine, it runs for a short bit longer then shuts off

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gmartin1215,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I am not equipped to give any technical advice but I am happy to assist if you have any general questions or concerns. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no offense, but if you don't have any useful information to share, then please refrain from posting a reply.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the defroster was not on. However, I noticed that this issue does not occur if I have the cabin fan turned off (heater fan controls in side the Tahoe - I have the controler that has the two big knobs and the temperature adjustment has wheels, too)

Will play around with the controller some more to see when that hi coolant fan kicks on

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Any luck finding out what was happening? I've started noticing the same thing with my 2008.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your controls are set on recirc, the ac will cycle and the fans come on accordingly.

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing it but what does that AC have to do with the RADIATOR fans?

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anytime the ac or sometimes defrost is on the computer commands the fans on high and as the compressor cycles so does the fan(s). when engine is hot and ac is on fans are running wide open.

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Ahh...I was thinking maybe you were confusing the radiator fans and blower motor/fan....but I wasn't thinking it through...The AC condenser needs air flow as well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian