Excessive Documentation? Ha!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81X11

Reaction score
Oh and I just to have to share this, the doctor that owned my 2001 Denali XL took the MOST AMAZING NOTES I have ever seen regarding the service history. When we bought the truck this past Tuesday he gave me a milk crate with three bound folders in it, and a computer disk. I spent no-joke three hours reading everything the other night.

To share, the first folder had all the dealership paperwork in it from 2001, including the bill of sale papers, the finance papers, the trade-in papers, and letters to and from the dealer and the doctor. In addition there were copies of Consumer Guide reviews on the Denali, the Escalade, and the Suburban, plus other reviews, along with hand-written price comparisions of the features, options, and prices. In addition the original window sticker ($48K in the sticker but he only paid $42 for the truck), temp plates, dealer tags, and license plate frames were in that folder. Also a Thank You note from the original salesman and on and on....

The second folder was just warranty repair forms from the GMC dealer. It was astounding how thick this folder is. I'm guessing the GMC service writer HATED this guy. He had a GM warranty on it extended to 80K miles, and he USED it. There are entries in these about the customer commenting "steering wheel leather feeling too loose" and " the gap of the curved part of the hood being too wide on the passenger side" and "Homelink garage door opening will not open my garage from end of street". It was HILAROUS. Turns out that in the first four years he had the truck at the dealer 26 times!! The leather on the front seats was replaced do to "discoloring". The dash trim was replaced for "fading". And get this, the ENTIRE transmission was replaced at 20K miles for "thunking under hard take-off" and the air suspension was totally replaced due to "hard ride" at 25K miles. Hahaha! WOW! There was one nasty letter sent to a GM rep about how the doors did not have the solid feel of a Toyota.... (?)

The third folder though was my favorite, because it has all the service records from the time the extended warranty went out until last month. Specifically at 107K miles he took it to Eagle Transmissions and had the transmission totally replaced....again, and it's under warranty until 143K miles or Sept 2014. Hahaha. Also, he spent $3600 at NTB at 114K for all new air shocks, brakes, tune-up, differential service and transfer case services. Holy cow. But it continues...at 116K he spend $1600 on a new a/c compressor and associated parts. Plus the truck has lifetime alignment and tire repair at NTB. Hahahaha.

The final note was the computer CD consisting of an Excel spredsheet listing every gas fill-up, service repair, price spent, oil change (with type of oil and filter model), and mileage at each service date, along with a yearly breakdown of miles driven each year, average fuel economy, and notes like "tipped mechanic $5 after he wiped fingerprint smudges off center console". The file goes from 2001-2012. I was laughing out loud when I read it....Misty thought I was nuts....

Oh and there was an envelope in the last folder that contained torn-off oil filter box tops with the date and mileages written on them...dating back to 2001.....

I'm telling ya'll, I'm crazy but I've never seen ANYTHING like what this guy did.

Here's a sampling of the docs that came with this Denali. I'm telling you I've never seen records like this.

Fun to read if you're bored (or snowbound)!!

denali034.jpg
denali035.jpg
denali036.jpg
denali037.jpg
denali038.jpg
denali041.jpg
denali042.jpg
denali043.jpg
denali044.jpg
denali045.jpg
denali046.jpg
denali047.jpg
denali048.jpg
denali049.jpg
denali050.jpg
denali051.jpg
denali053.jpg
denali054.jpg
denali056.jpg
denali062.jpg

OP
OP

81X11

Reaction score
denali069.jpg
denali070.jpg
denali071.jpg

3G93Ld3H55Gc5Eb5Hdd1kf0613e7fa9991748.jpg

All I can say about it is it's cool to have EVERY record and receipt from new, and a lot of stuff has a lifetime warranty on it too.

I was more than a little shocked at all the issues he noted, and yes I think a lot were nit-picking, but going through two transmissions, expensive Autoride air shocks twice, and brakes SIX times, plus a LOT of alignments, a new radio, and all that in 109K is excessive. Kinda scares me, and Misty asked if we'd just bought a lemon...

I've had three previous Suburbans (96, 98, 03) and all have been great vehicles. This is my first GMC and while the Denali is fancier than the Burbs, it's still just a fancy Burb. 2001 was the first year for the new body style Denali, and I wonder if this had the typical GM first-year-itus issues.

Our last Burb, the 2003, I bought with 74K miles and it currently has 181K and my Mom drives it now. On it the only issues we've had are two oxegen sensors, one cat converter that rattled, and some of the lights in the radio burning out. Other than that, and oil changes/one set of plugs, and two sets of tires (normal service), it's been a fantastic truck. BUT is does not have 4WD/AWD, Autoride, and other electric widgets this Denali has...

That said, my Uncle Lloyd bought a Denali in 2001, traded it in 2005 because the GPS became and option, and currently has a 2009 Denali with 90K miles on it. He loved them all. I called him before buying this one and he said the only issue to worry about is 12mpg.

I guess we'll see how this Denali works out. Hope the previous owner got all the bugs out for us!

-Mike

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... Crazy

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a LOT of info!!

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you have the piece of mind that this guy really took care of his truck and kept up with everything , you should have no issues anytime soon by the looks of it .

OP
OP

81X11

Reaction score
Well he kind of let it go over the last few years. His housekeeper/nanny has been driving it and shuttling the kids around in it. He got himself a new vehicle a few years ago.

This first week of my ownership I've done the ABS module (brake and ABS idiot lights would come on and then go off when they wanted), replaced the leaking oil pan gasket (ZERO FUN JOB), and installed a new seal in the front differential where the CV axle goes in. Plus just put on a new set of tires.

Current project is removing the cracked 3M Clearbra from the hood and fenders and repainting the front bumper, which also had that Clearbra on it...and I gave up on scraping it off...just too much work, it was all over that bumper, rather re-paint.

That said it's still a VERY solid truck, and once I get these cosmetics sorted our and give it a full-weekend's detail job, it should be gorgeous. Austin truck since new, never seen snow/salt, not a spec of rust under it, the frame/underside looks brand new, and it does not have a ding in it anywhere....just needs a good all-over cleaning badly!

I love a project! Currently it's at my friend's shop where thankfully I can use the lift, and the bumper is at the body shop.

Snapped some pics. Pretty amazing, we sold a near-perfect Grand Prix for this truck last weekend, and now the truck is all torn down.
denali151.jpg

Hope it comes out well!
denali153.jpg
denali177.jpg

Check out this mess on the hood and tops of the front fenders. This was a 3M Clearbra. On the upside I got $500 off just for this mess.
denali164.jpg
denali156.jpg
denali159.jpg
denali161.jpg

The Clearbra was also on the mirrors. I've given up on these and ordered Bully polished stainless caps to cover the white mess here.
denali167.jpg
denali169.jpg

On the upside I scored a set of new take-off Continental tires from a Ford Super Duty. Still have the nubs on the treads.
denali171.jpg

Vortec 6.0....dusty mess but will make it pretty once it's home.
denali174.jpg

And here's the front bumper. It was totally covered with that 3M Clearbra crap. Using solvent to get it off, then will sand and re-paint it. Have already done the solvent once here...what a mess!!
denali178.jpg

Again hope the truck comes out pretty and is a good vehicle for us.

-Mike

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

lol, wow... Wonder how the good doctor is getting along in his new Toyota/Lexus? lol

Currently he has a Grand Cherokee and a Mini Cooper.

I'd rather have a Denali any day!

-Mike

Last edited:

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
Wow, that amount of documentation is beyond ****. Too bad no one was around to scoop up all those parts he had replaced for no reason lol

Note to self: Never use a clear bra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts