Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beelow

Reaction score
Does any of you guys have an extended warranty or service plan that you've bought or are currently paying for? I have an 08 with about 44k on it. I'm getting a lot of cards in the mail offering service plans and extended warranties....can anyone recommend a company to check out?

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with a couple companies through my work, they can be ok (not sure which ones imparticular) but i believe if you plan on buying one the truck has to stay in the same condition it was purchased. I.E. no lowering kits,lift kits, engine accessories, etc. Unless the vehicle was purchased with those mods. I have had some people turned down, now i work for a very honest automotive shop and its not worth my career to lie for someone, so if you have a buddy in the industry that would be performing the repairs then it probably wouldnt matter. I purchased the one thru GM when I bought my Tahoe new but mostly just for the interior functions, as i knew i was going to lower it, do different wheels, and add engine modifications. however my extended warranty is still covered if i install a cat-back exhaust, so you may ask them about that and save the OEM intake (if you plan on installing one) then a BB tune can take it back to stock. so that will be my plan if i ever have engine issues that are too expensive to fix on my own.

gilbo

Reaction score
GMPP Major guard $0 deductible, is the way i go all the time, since i keep my vehicle along time

GMPP

this is who i bought my GMPP from online, usually cheaper than local

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cant get GMPP, he is over the 3yr/36,000 mile period.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I've never paid one penny for an extended warranty on ANYTHING I have every purchased, and never will. Most everyone comes up a loser with that game.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I see no point of getting it on these trucks since they are tried and true for almost 20 years. If you think about it, not much has really changed on these. Sure, little bits here and there such as the 350 bring replaced but the 325 (pretty much the same engine anyways), coil spring vs torsion beam, etc.

I did, however, purchase GMPP for my last car; 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged. It was the 2nd model year of a first generation platform and engine family. The transmission had been around for a while (Saab 9-3), but not really tested for the performance this car had, not the final drive gearing of 4.05. This purchase paid off big time. New trans, new pistons, arms, main bearings, crank, timing tensioners, oil pump, wheel bearings, and a few other things. GMPP saved me thousands.

I just think the question that should be asked is how new is the technology in the vehicle. If it's something brand new, get it. If not, don't bother. Judy my opinion.

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never paid one penny for an extended warranty on ANYTHING I have every purchased, and never will. Most everyone comes up a loser with that game.

I was of the same opinion however, I'm not worried about the power terrain, but it all of the expensive electronics that made me buy the coverage. The nav/video system, blind side warning, seats, seat coolers/heaters, heated steering wheel just to name a few of the odd things that can be expensive to fix. The little bit of money spend will go a long way if you have a problem. Nav Head along is about $2500.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the "GMAC Repair Advantage Max" which is valid for 36k miles. It's their top of the line bumper to bumper warranty package. The best part about this is you can go straight to any GM dealership instead of a normal body shop. I just got my $2300 AC Compressor/misc. issues with my vehicle all done at a chevy dealership a mile from where I live all covered by Warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate