External hard drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is just a reference for whoever needs help with head unit/external hard drive connection===i installed a pioneer avh-p5100dvd a while ago. the unit has a usb connection which i use an external hard drive (HD) filled with music. the HD is a 40 gig which comes in a format that doesnt work on the head unit. (i forget which format) anyway in order for me to use it with the unit i had to shrink the HD to 16gig and then reformat it to fat32. if your pc allows it you can shrink it to 32gig but no higher. the head unit came with a usb extension so you can mount the HD outside the dash. some may have trouble powering the HD through the unit and have opted to use another power supply, others have found that connecting the HD directly to the head unit using only one usb cable(skipping the ext. cable) gives sufficient power. i myself discovered that using a bigger gauge cable works great. i recently tested a 26gauge usb cable which is normally used to connect my superchips flaspaq programmer to my pc. it now powers the HD great and allows it to play instantly as a regular cd would. i may just decide to connect the 26 gauge cable directly to the unit for even more power, ahh! ahh! ahh!=====anyways, i hope this could be helpful to others, thanks for reading!
aka
(((snap)))

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
While I'm sure people appreciate the info in regard to the hard drive mod, I'd appreciate it you could refrain from starting threads with (((parentheses in the title)))). Thanks for your cooperation :cheers:

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
While I'm sure people appreciate the info in regard to the hard drive mod, I'd appreciate it you could refrain from starting threads with (((parentheses in the title)))). Thanks for your cooperation :cheers:

haha, is that a petpeeve of yours max?

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Not really, I'd just prefer someone to attempt the use of proper grammar when trying to be insightful. I'm certain he's an intelligent guy so it would be in his best interest to not look like a ******* when trying to do so.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
IT bugs me. Its trying to attract attention. Like in second grade you would go OH OH OH OH OH OH. and the teacher would get pissed and call on somebody else.

jpmaniac87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have this, nor do I really plan on getting it, but just brainstorming... You think you could partition the 40 gig (~~ 34 gig actual storage space) into two 16gb partitions, making the head unit see two hard drives??

OP
OP
lilsolo68

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have this, nor do I really plan on getting it, but just brainstorming... You think you could partition the 40 gig (~~ 34 gig actual storage space) into two 16gb partitions, making the head unit see two hard drives??

not sure about that. im no computer wiz i just wanted to post this so others like myself will be able to use the info.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

IT bugs me. Its trying to attract attention. Like in second grade you would go OH OH OH OH OH OH. and the teacher would get pissed and call on somebody else.

not really trying to attract attention, its just something that i use on all the other forums that im apart of. like a second signature. but if its something thats frown on by the admins then ill refrain from doing it.

[Hands up] MY BAD!

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd, I used a 250g HD, have to power it separately using a small inverter. Seems to work fine, uploaded every song I have. Not sure how the FAT32 is configured to work, my uncle helped me do it. But it works, I'll try to ask him how he got it to work. But it does, unit will only recognize mp3,wma. I tried to throw some mpg's on there but it cannot open them.

OP
OP
lilsolo68

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer AVH-P4000dvd, I used a 250g HD, have to power it separately using a small inverter. Seems to work fine, uploaded every song I have. Not sure how the FAT32 is configured to work, my uncle helped me do it. But it works, I'll try to ask him how he got it to work. But it does, unit will only recognize mp3,wma. I tried to throw some mpg's on there but it cannot open them.

some drives actually com formatted to fat32 so thats maybe why it worked.
my unit recognizes mp3,wma,aac,and divx but its the new 5100. i have yet to figure out how to play vids, movies, and pics from my hard drive. i wished someone would post a thread about that.

oak510_tahoe

Urban Assault
Reaction score
some drives actually com formatted to fat32 so thats maybe why it worked.
my unit recognizes mp3,wma,aac,and divx but its the new 5100. i have yet to figure out how to play vids, movies, and pics from my hard drive. i wished someone would post a thread about that.

The one I bought wasn't fat32 when I got it, I tried it right out the box lol; and since I don't know much about computers I just handed it over to someone who did. I too wish I could get it to recognize movie files. Its nice having all the songs, but I'd prefer the video/movies too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap