Flickering lights(solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacon612

Reaction score
OP do you notice flicker in the dome lights on the roof as well as your headlights?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP do you notice flicker in the dome lights on the roof as well as your headlights?
i believe he said the cluster flickers also, the dome lights have also come up before as a issue being shorted to bare metal causing problems

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
headlight switch is not a bad idea, you could try unplugging the rvc module to see if that makes any difference also. that is the clamp looking module that is on the ground cable connected to the battery, unplugging it will not cause any problem.
if all else fails you can try adding a ground to the light circuit in the past this has helped myself and others, the light circuit has been known to have a poor ground.
you might want to take a look at the fuse box too for corrosion.
I tried it with the RVC unplugged and no change. Fuse box has no signs of corrosion. The ground for the lights is the one on the left front bumper support correct?

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. All interior and exterior lights flicker but I'm not 100% sure about dash lighting. It's tough to tell. I also have an issue with the auto dimming mirrors getting too dark at the wrong times and I cannot comunicate with the radio amp using my tech 2. Wonder if it's related

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. All interior and exterior lights flicker but I'm not 100% sure about dash lighting. It's tough to tell. I also have an issue with the auto dimming mirrors getting too dark at the wrong times and I cannot comunicate with the radio amp using my tech 2. Wonder if it's related
mirror auto dimming is normally controlled by the sensor in the rear view mirror. (when light shines thru the rear window the sensor detects it and dims the rearview mirror and drivers side mirror) the sensor on the backside of the mirror (facing forward) also detects ambient light and dims the interior lighting, cluster, radio.
do you have the stock radio or is it aftermarket? and if it is stock does everything work? I believe the stock amp operation communication is thru the radio so if it is aftermarket that might explain why you are unable to communicate with the amp or perhaps you are selecting the wrong radio or amp with the tech2?
headlights I have pretty much always ran HID or other aftermarket lights and have just ran the ground from the headlight harness right to the frame. (leaving anything else intact)

bacon612

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and pull the headlight switch today and test this G201 ground.

View attachment 436399
Please do report back on this. Also would like to know about your ground testing procedure. I've read that the stud for this ground is known to be an issue on gmt900 trucks. Something about insulation getting caught in it during assembly and or that it becomes loose. The bad part about it is that to get to it you have to remove the dash which isn't fun. You see it or access it by removing the driver's side a pillar trim piece. I've tried.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please do report back on this. Also would like to know about your ground testing procedure. I've read that the stud for this ground is known to be an issue on gmt900 trucks. Something about insulation getting caught in it during assembly and or that it becomes loose. The bad part about it is that to get to it you have to remove the dash which isn't fun. You see it or access it by removing the driver's side a pillar trim piece. I've tried.
this specific ground point you are referring to is related to the k2xx pickups and possibly suv's but I have not seen it confirmed on the suv's.
it is a bcm ground point and causes erratic system behavior
it is in a tsb and covers 2015-2016 I believe just the early production period

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this sensor in the top center of the rearview is the mirror autodim, the egg shape one
dim.jpg this square sensor on the front of the mirror is the interior light dimming sensor, if you have it covered or blocked with say a dashcam it makes the interior lighting/cluster go dim earlier than it should
dim1.jpg
and this is the "sunsensor" on the dash front center (bubble shape) it controls how the hvac operates and also kicks on the headlights/drl's when it senses dusk/dawn, it also over-rides the interior dimming sensor (i think)
dim2.jpg

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sensor in the top center of the rearview is the mirror autodim, the egg shape one
View attachment 436410 this square sensor on the front of the mirror is the interior light dimming sensor, if you have it covered or blocked with say a dashcam it makes the interior lighting/cluster go dim earlier than it should
View attachment 436411
and this is the "sunsensor" on the dash front center (bubble shape) it controls how the hvac operates and also kicks on the headlights/drl's when it senses dusk/dawn, it also over-rides the interior dimming sensor (i think)
View attachment 436412
Thanks for the info! We don't have anything blocking the sensors so I'll have to do some testing. All Data has the procedure but I haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan