Folding mirror motor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Writefast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I press the button and initiate a fold in or fold out on automatic mirrors, what exactly tells the motors to stop when the fold is complete? I just replaced both and while the drivers side is functioning perfectly, the passenger side, on fold out, tries to overextend. Drivers side motor folds out completely and turns off. Passenger folds out completely, then continues to run until I hear two sharp clicks. At that point the mirror is loose and easily manipulatable. I have to manual reset it every time. I’ve looked for anything that looks like a torque sensor and can’t identify any.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I press the button and initiate a fold in or fold out on automatic mirrors, what exactly tells the motors to stop when the fold is complete? I just replaced both and while the drivers side is functioning perfectly, the passenger side, on fold out, tries to overextend. Drivers side motor folds out completely and turns off. Passenger folds out completely, then continues to run until I hear two sharp clicks. At that point the mirror is loose and easily manipulatable. I have to manual reset it every time. I’ve looked for anything that looks like a torque sensor and can’t identify any.
sounds like the internal gear is out of sync, inside the mirror motor housing there is electric motor and small gear that drives a larger gear or clutch whatever you want to call it. if that gear is not set right it won't operate correctly. you might have to fiddle with it a couple times to get it right. which means taking the motor apart and putting back together and then plugging the power back in to see if it then works right. once it does you can reassemble everything,
if you skip to about 16 minutes in this video he shows the gear I am talking about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road