For those that have built your own console...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting on a long project of building a new center console. I want a tv in the rear, new cupholders, a little taller console, and custom place for my ipod touch. What I'm looking for are tips and what materials you have used to complete such a task. I have made a template from cardboard and have mdf that I've started to cut. I'm not sure if I should use vinyl over the console or fiberglass and paint. Just looking for ideas and tips and maybe some pics for help. Any links to good help is appreciated also.
Btw, I've never done anything like this so don't expect a miracle when i'm done. lol

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JK is your man...seen some pics of some seriously sweet as custom center consoles he did

B

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your a do-it-yourselfer, I say cover it....or at least build it, and have a shop do it unless your good at bondo,figerglassing,etc..

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use MDF as your skeleton and fiberglass for the skin, you can pretty much make any shape and contour you can imagine. Keep in mind, crazy shapes and contours are harder to wrap with materials like vinyl and leather unless you make patterns, cut pieces, and then sew them together, kinda like your seats. If the contours aren't too wild you may be able to wrap it in one piece using a multi-stretch vinyl such as Allante. If nothing else in your interior is gelcoated or painted, I personally would wrap in vinyl or leather to flow better with the interior.
Definitely take pics and keep us posted on your progress.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
glass work is easier than you think, messy tho. do a bit of research online but it's fairly simple once you get going. cool thing about fiberglass is you can always add material if you don't like where it's going, fabric covers any minor imperfections too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap