Front Differentail Leaking- How easy to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

almightys

Reaction score
So noticed yesterday as i was going to change the diff fluid frt/raer that the front is leaking on the passenger side where the axle/cv goes in to the case. I called auto parts store and they say that seal is about $25 but how easy is it to fix? Any special tools needed?
Woudl like to hear from someone who has tackled it.
My vehicle is a '04 AWD Suburban

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side hard...driver side easy...good luck!

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very easy to pull front differential out. Remove drive shafts inner end(6 bolts/side) and move them off the way. Remove front drive shaft between front differential and and transfer case. Pull the front axle actuator connector of and take the wiring out of the way.
Now all you have to do is to take 4 bolts out which holds the front differential in place.
This can be done without lifting the truck, but I will help a lot! Took me first time about 45min, next time less than 30min.

OP
OP
A

almightys

Reaction score
Very easy to pull front differential out. Remove drive shafts inner end(6 bolts/side) and move them off the way. Remove front drive shaft between front differential and and transfer case. Pull the front axle actuator connector of and take the wiring out of the way.
Now all you have to do is to take 4 bolts out which holds the front differential in place.
This can be done without lifting the truck, but I will help a lot! Took me first time about 45min, next time less than 30min.

so pulling the whole case out woudl be easier then trying to fanagle just the paasenger side off. I see the extended tube on that side and where it bolts to case

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so pulling the whole case out woudl be easier then trying to fanagle just the paasenger side off. I see the extended tube on that side and where it bolts to case

As I said, it is so easy to pull the whole differential and do the re-sealing at the garage table.

OP
OP
A

almightys

Reaction score
Well I will give it a go then. It usually takes me 3x the time of an experienced mechanic, but I enjoy working on the stuff and really enjoy keeping $300 in my pocket

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done mine and it was pretty easy, didn't take the whole thing out but I'm sure it would have been even easier on a bench!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy