Front differential actuator install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the shop and they told me that a switch on the transfer case was suck on and it burned out the front actuator in the differential. I was gona have them do it but they said that they changed the style of the actuator and I would need a new wiring harness. I not going to replace a working wiring harness so I was wondering if anyone has changed an actuator(how to do it), where to get an old style one and around how much $ they are.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technical Service Bulletin
File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # GVW

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (Section 4 - Drive Axle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage when 4 wheel drive is selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to complete 4 wheel drive engagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.
26060073 Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle 1

Remove or Disconnect

Skid plate (if equipped).
Electrical connector from the indicator switch located on the upper right side of the differential.
Indicator switch (11).
Install or Connect

Indicator switch (11).
Coat the switch thread with sealer (GM P/N 1052942) or equivalent.
Electrical connector.
Skid plate (if equipped).

Attachments

• 80819026.jpg
    80819026.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 154

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the actuator itself is a pretty simple job.

Remove the connector.
Unscrew the actuator.
Put some goo(thread sealer) on the threads of the new actuator if it doesn't already have it.
Screw in the actuator.
Plug in connector.

Replacing the transfer case switch (if the dealer didn't do it) will take more time.

I saw a thermal actuator at the Autozone website when I was looking for one for a 97 tahoe but don't know for absolute certainty that it is the right one (axle codes).

If you are anywhere that it is cold it is well worth doing the TSB. I like not having to wait for the 4WD to engage when I am running through the woods in winter.

OP
OP
M

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, picked one up at the junk yard for $65, going to have the shop do the switch. would have had them do it all but they wanted $220 for the actuator just in parts. They also wanted $120 for a new wiring harness due to change in style.

Last edited:

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Yeah, picked one up at the junk yard for $65 going to have the shop do the switch. would have had them do it all but they wanted $220 for the actuator just in parts. They also wanted $120 for a new wiring harness due to change in style.

Wow. Screw that. Good job minimizing your exposure there.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Every time I've gotten a part that required a new harness (fuel pump was most recent), it came with both male and female ends, if it was a necessary upgrade per a tech bulletin. Not sure if this one will have both sides or not...

OP
OP
M

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found out the shop was trying to rip me off I went to Napa before I got the part from the junkyard and found out the most expensive actuator they carry is $150 and just found an adapter for $22. I know they have markup on parts but thats a $170 difference. I have been going to this shop since I got the truck, and have probably done $1500 worth of business with them, and have never had a problem but I don't think I will be going there again. I was pissed that they charged me even though I give them a lot of business and I told them that it was probably the actuator in the first place.

Cmdrpopnfresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
anyone know if any of these acctuators are the updated actuators that are not the thermal kind?

autozone acctuators

my 4x4 went out this morning and i think its the diff actuator. the 4hi light just flashes after i push the button and i have no 4x4.
thanks for any help

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

wait now im confused. does my 97 have the thermal type actuator? or the motor? cause it seems like that tsb applies but i cant seem to find any info about replacement actuators....they all look like the motor type.....could someone clear this up for me? do i need to do the updated part?

Last edited:

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can answer if the upgrade to electric from thermal will definitely fix the blinking? anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purtteman

Latest posts