Front differential actuator install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can answer if the upgrade to electric from thermal will definitely fix the blinking? anyone?

If you are referring to the blinking after you push the switch until the actuator engages (you see this more in cold weather), it will definitely help with that.

If you are saying that the blinking is constant after you push the switch (an indication that the 4WD didn't engage or didn't receive feedback that it did) then maybe. Depends what is wrong with the system.

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man i was asking this same question like 2 months ago. im so glad to see more info on this as i just got about 4 actuators from the junk yard to see if any of them will work. and if need to upgrade to thermal or electric or whatever man ill do it in a heart beat! hope to see more info and pictures soon. good luck guys hope all is well

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

what is a TSB

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
man i was asking this same question like 2 months ago. im so glad to see more info on this as i just got about 4 actuators from the junk yard to see if any of them will work. and if need to upgrade to thermal or electric or whatever man ill do it in a heart beat! hope to see more info and pictures soon. good luck guys hope all is well

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

what is a TSB

Is yours blinking when you push the 4x4 buttons?

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a 4WD diagnostic document on another site (which I won't mention).

It is for regular electric 4WD (not Auto 4WD)

I would like to post it here but it is too big.

If anyone is interested to receive it, send me a PM with your email.

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is yours blinking when you push the 4x4 buttons?

nope. When i shift to 4x4 my fuse blows out, and i have no light anywere. i just got two other actuators from the junk yard to swap it and see if it helps.

but if i could avoid this "heat" one and use an electrci one or whatever is more efficient im down!

OP
OP
M

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. When i shift to 4x4 my fuse blows out, and i have no light anywere. i just got two other actuators from the junk yard to swap it and see if it helps.

but if i could avoid this "heat" one and use an electrci one or whatever is more efficient im down!

I got one from the junk yard, didn't work. Just bought one from NAPA for the same price, waiting for it to be shipped. To bad we just got 2ft of snow.

Shadowace6969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
?

Having the same or similar problem. The neutral light and 2hi light come on when I start the vehicle. Eventually both lights go off, it doesn't engage when I hit the other buttons and the only light that comes on when I push them is the red neutral light. I just put in a new 4 button switch hopeing to remedy this, but same thing. I'm kinda snowed in at the moment and can't reach someone with a scantool, is there a way I can tell if its the transfer case encoder motor or the actuator / or both without a scantool? If so, I can order the parts and do the labor myself. It's a 1998 5.7 LT, It is in 2hi (neutral not actually on, since I'm able to still drive the vehicle). This snow is kickin my arse without 4x4 lol. Thanks.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this.

Obtaining Diagnostic Trouble Codes

The diagnostic trouble codes are displayed on the three transfer case shift select buttons. The shift select buttons are located to the right of the instrument panel cluster. When pin 13 of the data link connector is grounded and the ignition switch has been in the OFF position for at least five seconds prior to positioning the ignition switch to the RUN position, the shift select buttons will blink a number of times in order to indicate a diagnostic trouble code from 1 to 4.
Position the ignition switch to OFF. 
Ensure the ignition switch is positioned to OFF for at least 5 seconds.
Connect pin 13 on the data link connector to a vehicle ground source. 
The data link connector is located in the cab under the instrument panel on the drivers side.
Position the ignition switch to RUN.
Note the shift select buttons for blinking codes. Refer to Perform a Diagnostic on the TCCM.

If the shift select buttons all blink one time and stop, and do not continue to blink, no fault codes are stored in the TCCM.

The transfer case shift select buttons will blink in order to identify any stored DTC. If only one code is stored in the TCCM memory, that code will blink repeatedly with a three second delay between blinking sequences. If more than one code is stored, the first code will blink once, then after a three seconds delay, the next code will blink. This sequence will continue until pin 13 is no longer grounded.

When reading the diagnostic trouble codes, the number of shift select buttons blinks will indicate the code number.

OP
OP
M

magnahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the same or similar problem. The neutral light and 2hi light come on when I start the vehicle. Eventually both lights go off, it doesn't engage when I hit the other buttons and the only light that comes on when I push them is the red neutral light. I just put in a new 4 button switch hopeing to remedy this, but same thing. I'm kinda snowed in at the moment and can't reach someone with a scantool, is there a way I can tell if its the transfer case encoder motor or the actuator / or both without a scantool? If so, I can order the parts and do the labor myself. It's a 1998 5.7 LT, It is in 2hi (neutral not actually on, since I'm able to still drive the vehicle). This snow is kickin my arse without 4x4 lol. Thanks.

There is also an electronic switch on the t case. I would try changing that before changing the encoder motor because the switch is $14 and the encoder motor is over $200.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTweedt70

Latest posts