Front end issues with keys and spacers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homedic3181

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with destroying their front ends after putting in keys and spacers? Problems with ball joints, CVs, clearance? I am debating upgrading along this route with my 04 Z71 but I wasn't sure how well they hold up.

04denali

Reaction score
Do you know what keys you would use? Depending on the height you desire will play the big factor. Keys are not bad as long as you do not crank them all the way, and this still just depends on how you drive and how your front end parts wear.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
It all depends on the amount of miles you have. I put mine in when i had around 150,000 miles. Im sure i sped up the wear a little bit but not enough the consider it bad for the truck. I needed all new parts anyway. If you want to run ALL original parts on your front end for 300,000 miles then i would shy away from aftermarket keys. I dont think youll see a difference between a guy with aftermarket keys and a guy with stock keys. Your front end matinance may differ like 5,000miles. Nothing much.

OP
OP
H

homedic3181

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about looking into 1-1/2" or 2" keys for my 04 Z71. Also, how well are you clearing those 33" tires with just 2" keys in the front? Are you running into a lot of rubbing?

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
If you run stock rims you wont have any problems. Im running wider locks so i did have to do some minor trimming. People run 35s on stock rims with just keys.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 33's with no spacers and just my stock keys cranked. So if you run the ford keys or even a 3" readylift and 1 1/2 to 2" spacer you would have no problem

Dr Tahoe

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the 33's with no spacer. I am just about to do this. Would love to see a glipse before I go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369