Gauges are draining battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xodave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I shut my 2002 Kon off and close door, just after the courtesy lights go out the Gauge needles are powered "on" all night until I open the door and the courtesy lights come back on and the gauges loose ground and go "off"
Is there a courtesy light relay I should replace first?

Thanks, Dave

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine do that all the time. sometimes I will get in and shut the door the needles jump around. it has never drained the battery.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My blazer use to turn on the "high beam indicator" and the "battery light indicator" when I would lock it....they only turned on when the headlights went off after about 30 seconds. Did exactly what you said, and mine would be dead if it sat for a bit too long. I researched all over and found very few people having the sme problem and none having found a solution.

My buddies 2000 corvette does the gauge thing. We have never been able to figure it out. He had to get a battery tender because he only drives it about twice a month.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short in the gauge cluster?

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short in the gauge cluster?

This was going to be my next try on mine...but I sold it before I got to that point. Being that GM does have some faulty gauge clusters, and mine had sticking needles and bouncing gas gauge, it seemed very possible to be a problem. I figured someone could have messed up the filament/circuit on the back side of the gauges before I bought the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou