Have a question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about selling my 98 yukon and have considered a 2002+ Z71 Tahoe. But I've taken a liking into the 02+ Yukon Denali/Escalade. I know they were offered with the 6.0L but were they available in 4x4 or AWD? Id really like a 4x4.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than an AWD is on "4x4" mode all the time, whats the difference in AWD and 4x4? Is the torque transfer different on AWD than say 4hi or 4low??

How would AWD act, in mud/trail scenario?
I do tow with my Yukon (Ranch Equipment:Cutters, balers, trailers)

ChazMan

Reaction score
The Esc is my 2nd AWD SUV (Honda Element is my first AWD) after owning a 4x4 truck before. As I understand AWD vehicle drives normally in 2WD and it automatically engages to AWD "only" when traction control system detects different wheel speeds between front and rear via viscous coupling system at the transfer case. And I saw this in action. My wife pulling up our boat/trailer at a slippery ramp and I was watching (after hooking up the boat to the trailer), the rear wheel slipped not even a 1/4 turn and then (I suppose) the front wheels got engaged immediatgely and the truck pulled up the boat/trailer no problem. Also, I drove a mile long 12" of fresh snow packed slightly up-hill dirt roads NO PROBLEM - I was very impressed with AWD.

There is no push-button to manually engage from 2WD to AWD on my Esc - I wish it does, nor it has Hi or Lo as it did on my 4x4 truck. For serious off-roading and trail riding, you really need to get a 4x4. But so far, as for what I need, AWD has been working just fine for me.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then AWD works like my yukons 4autotrack it has? which is pretty much like having it engage automatically. Thats still what i dont understand, if the AWD"4x4" engages on its own, why dont you think its good for off-road situations?

Tahoe06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AWD will be OK for your typical off road adventures. Some dirt, a little mud, and maybe some rocks. But to get to a lot of places you may need 4low and you won't have that. That's where a 4x4 comes in. You can change from 4high to 4low and get to more places.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering a Z71 Tahoe, because of the 4x4, but I kinda like the Yukon Denali, cause its different you know?
Now, im not gonna do any major wheeling. I do like to have some fun in the mud once in a while... as you can see below.

frontview3.gif
aftermathfrontpassview.gif

I do have a ranch, and mud is inevitable when we get hit with rain. Now i dont know what I should do. Z71 Tahoe or Denali ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100