Headliner R&R…? anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headliner removal, headliner strip, and headliner reupholster, and headliner reinstall with interior trim and wiring reinstall. Holy sh*t this turned out to be a cluster. And I started well prepped and supplied. But those little 15 minute videos that pop on google are edited to flip through the BS and there’s a lot of bs. Will update later. I’m on about the 3rd night of stripping the old headliner from the frame or whatever you want to call it. Flimsy Fkn piece of paper with cardboard bulkheads. Ugh I don’t even know if it will go back together. I’m like 50/50 on the success of this thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished stripping off completely the old and started FRI night. Ive got at least 6 hours on the sanding. 2 hours removing trim and getting the headliner out. This thing its bare form lost all of its shape. I will see what i can do on the reupholster but im not confident at all. Oh and i cut through the paper in a bunch of spots so i really want to spend 1 night with a fiberglass kit and get it halfway patched back up because its flimsy as hell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started on gluing down the new headliner fabric last night. i got a late start, got into a rush worried about losing a bunch of sleep and made a couple mistakes. doh! ftw I just keep it moving. I did about half yesterday and will try to knock out the rest tonight. it depends if i can get started early enough. i forgot to take pictures so hopefully i can remember to click a few tonight and post for the record.

OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1:30a finished laying down the new headliner material. I got that glue everywhere and ruined my hard work. My dumba$$ was spraying underneath it to make some of my holes and the headliner glue goes streaming through a 1-inch hole for the visor latch mount. Doh!! I still have more holes to cut and hopefully get this dude reinstalled over the weekend. That’s going to be super fun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Chubbs

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't miss that crap. Good luck.
If I wasn’t putting $3k into the restoration, I would have paid a pro to do this. Then my gauge cluster stopped working completely when I had to remove everything to get the headliner out. Now I feel a ball joint or tie rod end knocking. One thing after another. Oh and the rpms on the engine drop when the ac compressor turns on so I’m going to need one of those before it $hits the bed completely and cause me to overhaul the entire AC system. Hopefully it goes in for paint and body soon because she’s just a little on the embarrassing side what with the collision damages and clearcoat peeling off and sunburns everywhere. Key scratches. You name it. Hopefully it will look brand new after a couple more months

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a headlines that pretty beat up on my project Suburban. I was thinking of trying to tackle it myself, but maybe I need to reconsider. I did realize that backing material was so hard to remove! I wonder if they sell headliner replacements?

And I gotta paint the hood and roof because it sounds like your truck. :-(

I think yours turned out looking good.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
When you pull the headliner material off, all you need is a handheld steel wire brush to get the residue off. Don't use too much force or you'll go through the backing board. That's all you need to do. Too late, but for anyone else who might stumble on this thread.
Also it's best to start laying the material in half--spray the headliner board with glue on 1 side--spray glue on the foam part of the headliner, let it tack up then start laying the material together. Make sure it has no wrinkles because once it's laid down you're not going to be able to pull it up to readjust.
I've found a plastic bondo spreader works the best to smooth it out.
Also--which headliner glue spray did you use? Not all are created equal.