Heated seat not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if there is usually something that fails before the seat elements? The seats in my Yukon haven’t worked for a while now and I want to dive into the problem. They did work, then worked for short time periods then not at all. Right now if I hit the button the lights come on for a brief second then shut off. I have no problem replacing stuff, just wondered if you fine folks had an idea where to start first?

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
80% of the time its a short in the elements.Use an ohm meter get under the seats and check the lower and upper connectors.Have someone sit in the seat and move around in it might set it off.Check the ohms and report back.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The element in the seat is the most common failure point, but the door switch can also have issues, and you can have connections come loose...

Logan5

Reaction score
I recently traced my heated seats problem (both seats heated switch light flickers on when pressed, then off, no heat. All other seats operations worked fine) to be a wire under the passenger seat that had been sliced by the rail under the seat. Likely from the seat motion back and forth. It cut through the wire loom and a wire.

This is easy to check though, just put the seat all the way forward and get a flashlight and check those wires underneath.

Also I found the ohms test to be less than accurate. My elements were out of spec but worked at the bench test so I put them back in. They are working fine now.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
What were your ohms on the elements-anything over 5 and i would replace it and should short out if not now in the near future it will.Can't argue with science-Ohm's law

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend and good quality aftermarket seat heater? I've already replaced mine with aftermarket heaters and 3 years later I need another one. They're not available from gm for my 2002 Yukon.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only after market I've heard of is Katzkin. I think they're expensive, too.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Rock Auto has Dorman seat heaters, but maybe only for the seat backs. Not that I am recommending anything Dorman, but it is what it is. ;)

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think Rock Auto has Dorman seat heaters, but maybe only for the seat backs. Not that I am recommending anything Dorman, but it is what it is. ;)
Lol. I am avoiding Dorman on this one. I did see they make a seat back warmer. I decided to try a heater from The Canada Seat Skins Co. They have a good description on their web site which I don't see on any other seat heater web sites. Time will tell of course.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I am avoiding Dorman on this one. I did see they make a seat back warmer. I decided to try a heater from The Canada Seat Skins Co. They have a good description on their web site which I don't see on any other seat heater web sites. Time will tell of course.
Oh! Please tell us how it goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap