Help putting 26" wheels and dropping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggb20042001

Reaction score
I'm wanting to know exactly how to put some 26" rims on my 04 denali and drop it the right way without having any problems. I've read and read and read but just want someone that already has to advise me before i put them on. Can anyone help me out.

SSmurdered

i know u see me
Reaction score
my 02 has djm rear springs, hardware kit which moves some things around for clearance, and shock extenders to get the full drop. up front just adjusted the torsion keys. its abour a 2/4 drop. alignment is necessary ofcourse after dialing it in. handles pretty tight for a bid ass suv. with the 26s its a little rough but you get used to it. 26s rubbed up front with this drop running a 305 30 26. what i did to fix it was; let the tires rub for a day or 2 to allow them to make marks on the liners so i knew where to trim, trimmed like a 12" x 12" section of the liner on the door side. then trimmed the corner off the sheet metal behind that, zip tied the e brake cable tight to the frame outta the way then sprayed that area with undercoating. the bumper side of the liner i just drilled a hole on either side and zip tied the lower edge to the front bumper mount. the only other thing in the front is the washer fluid bottle i had to do a little wiggling to move it back a inch or so.
in the rear i just rolled the fender lips up so that sharp edge didnt bite those $500 tires and took out the lower plastic piece.
now i can turn full left and right with ZERO rubbing on the 2/4 drop.
if you want some pics to clear up this rambling let me know...

OP
OP
B

biggb20042001

Reaction score
Do u have air ride and is it the same dropping a Yukon Denali as it is a Tahoe? I would also like to know if you had the opportunity to do it all over again would you go with 24" or 26"?

SSmurdered

i know u see me
Reaction score
factory my truck didnt come with air ride, i am switchin my setup to aftermarket air ride for a more comfortable ride and adjustibility. if you have the premium ride on your youll need to get new rear shocks to get the full drop of the lowering spring. my buddys 03 denali xl was almost identical to mine in terms of the suspension. the only reason id pick a 24 over the 26 would be because tires would be cheaper and they are more common so you could probably find a used set cheap. but 26 are where its at, ******* huge without having to lift the truck and just knowing that that is as big as your gonna get if you lower it is like a feeling of accomplishment. if you go 4s your just gonna keep thinking about the 6s, dont settle!!! do it big.

OP
OP
B

biggb20042001

Reaction score
Yea, 26's are my 1st choice but I've read some much about poor handling and bad ride quality and thats not what i want. I still want her to ride as smooth as possible. I know if done right the 26's can still ride great. What type/brand tires do you prefer?

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 4's and want 6's now! I agree with ssmurdered go with the 6's. 4's look so small on a big ass truck like a tahoe. my 4's ride just like stock, real smooth, on a 305/35/R24.

SSmurdered

i know u see me
Reaction score
my 6s ride like my old 22s did but you can kiinda feel that there is more weight to em. obviously they are heavier. but i dont imagine youd be able to tell a difference in ride quality between 4s and 6s. ive only ran my 6s with falken stz04 rubber, nice and meaty, not loud, not unidirectional so rotations are a breeze. decent tread life. theyve held up well to burnouts leavin the club too.

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

about 4am in pa ill catch yalls later. ill take some pics tomorrow of what i cut and shit

Amaan46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm rolling 4's on 305/35/24 and I definitely have the itch to go bigger but my everyday driving reality snatches my head out of the clouds . I have way too many potholes and overall crappy roads in NY to contend with. The price of 26in tires and the cost or rim replacement/repair tells me to keep the 4's, drop it, and work on the funds for a blower.....amongst other things!!

OP
OP
B

biggb20042001

Reaction score
i sure do appreciate all the knowlege u guys are giving me. i usually only drive my denali on the wknds so either 24/26s would be no problem i just dont want any headaches or regrets later.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i usually do 2/3 djm (or belltech) 295 30 24 and has been good for my customers. any questions shoot me a pm on the kits.

tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus