Help with headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I ran across this forum today while searching for a solution to my problem. The interior section here is leaps and bounds better than any other GM forum I have found.

Having said that, maybe someone can help me with a dilemma I have. I purchased a 2003 Tahoe that someone had installed an aftermarket Audiovox dvd player overhead. At the time I bought the truck all seemed well with the unit, and I couldn't tell anything was wrong. About 4 months after buying the truck the headliner began to sag at the rear of the sunroof. The headliner came out from the sunroof moulding and sagged probably 2 inches.

Upon further inspection I decided to remove the player to see what was happening. The unit is very heavy and it is not suprising it caused the headliner to sag. On top of the weight of the unit the installers had mounted a 3/4 piece of MDF to the headliner band, and the player mounted to the mdf. I'm not sure what the total weight of everything was, but it was a lot.

So, now here lies my issue. I have a headliner with a huge hole in it. It seems to me the headliner is also sagging toward the center as well.

What can I do to fix / patch the hole, or can I add additional bracing and go back in with a lighter DVD unit. My only concern is the hole is really a hell of a lot bigger than it needs to be. I'm thinking I could probably bend the band back where it needs to be. Could the hole be patched somehow?

I see where the Tahoes with sunroofs and factory DVD players have some great reinforcement up there. That would be nice, but I really don't want to purchase a new headliner.

IMG_1105.jpg

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll have to take it out and build a backer of some sort to fit flush in the hole. maybe some cardboard behind it and then use some upholstery foam shaved to be smooth. then reupholster the head liner

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
you could possibly put a brace up there and keep the dvd player. i've installed them before and never had any problems. about midway back from the hole to the rear you should have a factory brace running from door to door. there should be just enough space to insert a piece of 3/4 or 1/2 mdf in there and run it towards the front. i can't tell from the pic but you should be able to wedge it in there to where once the dvd player is screwed in it won't sag. just watch the screws going up so you don't puncture the roof...

i found this link... it might be helpful.
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/overhead-flip-down-installation.aspx

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigrod1965

Latest posts