Help with Speedometer (PRNDL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregBunney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought my first 2003 yukon, PRNDL lights were out so I removed the cluster to solder the circuit board and after reinstalling the needles, my speedometer no longer works. When I removed the needles that one removed with a bit of metal at the end unlike others so im not sure if that's a problem? Any advice would be great! TIA

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of metal at the end? Where it goes over the little stepper motors shaft?

Does it it feel smooth when you turn it by hand? Maybe add a bit of a light oil?

Or you replace the stepper motor. It's not too bad, especially since you already took it apart to solder the odometer solder joints

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, some bi-directional scan tools have a function to perform a "sweep test" of the gauges. And you can check your speed on the scanner live data. Sounds like it's just the stepper motor.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, some bi-directional scan tools have a function to perform a "sweep test" of the gauges. And you can check your speed on the scanner live data. Sounds like it's just the stepper motor.

^^This^^ Likely just the stepper motor. While you're in there I'd replace all of them, it's not that difficult (you've had it apart already) and these clusters are known for the stepper motors going bad.

If you have pics of your prior repair you might be able to see part numbers on the stepper motors to determine if they were ever replaced. Get a set of new ones and -- while you're in there -- also check the backlighting. Those bulbs burn out and can be replaced or converted to LEDs. Wiring pinout attached for testing purposes.

Attachments

• 2003-2006 Cluster Pinout.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 1

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the local guy that does custom clusters here say's the stepper motors are easy to break when pulling the needle out, sounds like that is what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sapientis