How much MPG's did you lose after lifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pullin" Out

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm picking up an 04 Tahoe LT AWD next week and Im trying to decide which direction im going Up, down or nowhere. I would like to start with the nnbs oem 20's, but I'm not sure if i want to pick it up 2-3" or drop it 2-3". I tow a boat and trailers quite often so im leaning towards picking it up a couple inches.

What size tire would be best (on the nnbs oem 20's, after picking it up 2-3")?

What kind of mpg's am I going to lose?

thanks
John

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do leveling keys and up to 33 I would expect a 1-2 MPG loss. I lost about 1. Also, bigger tires mean less towing capacity depending on your gears.

I didnt know the tahoes came in AWD? i thought they were all 2x or 4x. leanr something new every day...

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lifted 6" with 35's lost about 3MPG...

4.56 gears coming soon to compensate for the lost torque and pretty sure ill either stay the same on MPG or might improve some.

IF youre wanting MPG, drop it.

275/40 or 45 would be a nice tire with a 2/4 drop on that Tahoe.

If you lift it, go with 305/55R20 but if you tow, youre gonna want to gear it. 4.10 or lower

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pullin" Out

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the input. i do a fair amount of towing so maybe ill drop it as suggested.

does the stabilitrak or the auto level affect lowering it? or lifting it?

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
auto level does. you will need to buy a kit that relocates the shock mounts or replace with aftermarket shocks and heavier rear springs. I dont know if the computer sets a trouble code if the shocks are removed.

there is some info on here about it, search.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like they said, approx. 1-3MPG. I did keys, 1" spacers, bils with 33s. I'm sure the trail grapplers dont help the MPG either

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running heavy ass Toyo M/T's they look nice but i dont off road enought...

i think when these wear out, im gonna get the General GRabbers with the red letters. I think they look pretty sweet :D

04PolarBear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 3 in level and 34 in bfgs on my Hemi Ram before I bought my Tahoe, and it took 3 mpg overnight and when I put my 4.56s in it dropped another 1mpg...price you pay I guess right?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Really yall drive big ol subs n care about gas millage.... Noobs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby