How to confirm the 8 Speed or 2015i vs 6 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCYukon

Reaction score
I have a dealer that says that the "sticker isn't correct" and that the vehicle has the 8 Speed (2015 4WD Yukon Denali with a build date in 1/15). Are there Yukon's with build dates in 2015 that still have the 6 Speed and if the sticker says 6 speed, and the dealer says otherwise, how do you confirm?

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only Denalis have 8 speed. Anything built after 10/5/2014 will have the 8 speed.

Look for wireless charger on arm rest on SLT and Denali. 2015i Denali also had hands free tailgate.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Put shifter in manual mode and verify 8 speed shows up on digital display.

I think he is right it shows 6 speed on window sticker. Should show interim.

Wristdoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I contacted GMC on their website and started a chat with an advisor. Sent them the VIN of the one I was looking to purchase and they confirmed the build date. They were very helpful and it only took a few minutes...

JPH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Poker is right from the info I saw
must be built after 10/5/14 build code would be M5U (versus MYC for 6 speed)

You can find this on the build sheet that the dealer could/should provide

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer sounds fishy as hell but I will say that the window sticker for the Denali lists the power train for the regular Yukon under Standard Features and then the upgraded Denali power train later on in the Options section.

Put the shifter in M and hit the plus button until you see 8 or it stops at 6. Also, inside the glovebox lid there should be a sticker with all the little three character spec codes for the vehicle. Make sure it lists M5U (as mentioned above).

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wrong. The window sticker only says 8-speed. Mine is a relatively early one and it says 8-speed all over the sticker. The dealer is lying to you if he's telling you that it's got the 8-speed when'd the sticker says 6. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424218291.403656.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424218303.587241.jpg