HP Tuners additional changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
Truck is being tuned this week. Other than the obvious, what else should I ask about?

Requests so far:
-Tap-to-signal change to 5 blinks
-Auto up on driver's window
-Enable all informational readouts on DIC
-Turn "tow/haul" button into a "sport" mode
-Turn hazard button into "emergency strobe" mode

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do turn signals / driver's window / DIC / hazard lights have to do with the engine or trans control module?
If tuner can tune those other extraneous modules, congrats on the bonus - but this sounds like going to a famous burger joint and complaining about the wrong toys. I miss szechaun sauce too, but I don't ask In-n-Out for it.

Tow / Haul button into sport mode? NOW you're talkin'.

Our ecms / tcms also have a 'Hot Mode'. When the coolant gets too much hotter than normal,
engine and transmission behave VERY differently to delay overheating.
Problem is GM sets this threshold too hot to be useful to most people.
Have the Hot Mode thresholds lowered to 230F - or 239F if you race on a closed track.

How much does 87 cost where you typically drive? What about 91?
The closer together they are, the more you'll want to program for 91.

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
What do turn signals / driver's window / DIC / hazard lights have to do with the engine or trans control module?
If tuner can tune those other extraneous modules, congrats on the bonus - but this sounds like going to a famous burger joint and complaining about the wrong toys. I miss szechaun sauce too, but I don't ask In-n-Out for it.

Tow / Haul button into sport mode? NOW you're talkin'.

Our ecms / tcms also have a 'Hot Mode'. When the coolant gets too much hotter than normal,
engine and transmission behave VERY differently to delay overheating.
Problem is GM sets this threshold too hot to be useful to most people.
Have the Hot Mode thresholds lowered to 230F - or 239F if you race on a closed track.

How much does 87 cost where you typically drive? What about 91?
The closer together they are, the more you'll want to program for 91.
Doesn't have anything to do with the ECM or TCM, but HPT can update all kinds of fun stuff from what I know.

We have 93 here, not 91, and it's 70c/gallon more. Since the truck is otherwise stock, I'm just having it tuned on 87 for now. It's going to be getting a cam/long tubes/exhaust next year, so we'll do a 93 tune and a flex fuel tune at that time :)

I assume the "hot mode" you're referring to references water temp? Does the TCM have an overheat detection as well?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hptuners?

please let us know his info if he can do any of that. that's all in the body control module and as far as I know hptuners never touches the bcm. he might possibly have cracked this module and able to tune it. but that's genuine level software engineer stuff and I definitely want is info. I will pay him to a decent amount of money to crack and disassemble the os in some modules in my truck.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hptuners?

please let us know his info if he can do any of that. that's all in the body control module and as far as I know hptuners never touches the bcm. he might possibly have cracked this module and able to tune it. but that's genuine level software engineer stuff and I definitely want is info. I will pay him to a decent amount of money to crack and disassemble the os in some modules in my truck.
Put me on the list for this as well.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 93 here, not 91, and it's 70c / gallon more.
Since the truck is otherwise stock, I'm just having it tuned on 87 for now.
It's going to be getting a cam / long tubes / exhaust next year, so we'll do a 93 tune and a flex fuel tune at that time :)

I assume the "hot mode" you're referring to references water temp? Does the TCM have an overheat detection as well?
Since there is a Low Octane Spark Table and a High Octane Spark Table, you may want to say something like,
"I'll be using 87 primarily, but it'd be nice if, on the off-chance I use 93, I get a little something extra?"

There are at least two Hot Modes, one references coolant temp, the other references ATF temp.
(Motor oil temp would be the 3rd reference, but that only goes for 'vettes that use a motor oil temp sensor unless you install one.)
GM's overheat thresholds are, frankly, near as makes no difference ridiculous.

Having had this feature tuned on my '02 Z71, I'm glad I did.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disable AFM!!!
cooling fans can come on earlier
raise minimum alternator voltage
traction control can be disabled (ETC, spark, fuel cut)
speed limiter

make downshifts sooner/easier
reduce or eliminate TCC slip
can reduce torque management or speed up shift times???
Sport mode, if you know the settings you need,
you could program whatever you want into the tow/haul mode, or normal mode.

The things you listed sound more like the BTDieselworks AutoSync device with BCM tuning.
Not all listed features work, but most all important ones do.

Last edited:

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disable AFM!!!
cooling fans can come on earlier
raise minimum alternator voltage
traction control can be disabled (ETC, spark, fuel cut)
speed limiter

make downshifts sooner/easier
reduce or eliminate TCC slip
can reduce torque management or speed up shift times???
Sport mode, if you know the settings you need,
you could program whatever you want into the tow/haul mode, or normal mode.

The things you listed sound more like the BTDieselworks AutoSync device with BCM tuning.
Not all listed features work, but most all important ones do.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one time I tried Bluecat, the shift scheduling was earlier than stock! Probably had some values off, will try again.

However, the 2015 shift scheduling is noticeably better than my stock 2012 tune. I recently got a 2017 tune to look at, and it looks more better (lower tps areas have shift mph raised) Because I often make a turn and the transmission shifts right when I want to punch it out of turn.

Still working on the 2017 tuneit because there are some other differences I'm still looking at. For example 5th and 6th TCC disengage is set much higher than engagement speed, in effect not disengaging. I believe it is set to downshift with tcc locked? and so the tcc wont disengage until 4th or lower. (i think)

The biggest thing I don't agree with, that many recommend, is disabling tcc in 1-4. For me, 4th is my around town cruising speed. Having converter slack when you want to make small speed adjustments is annoying, not to mention generating more heat. I am speculating those that turn it off in 4th, dont do much in town driving.

Remember to reset your adaptives after a tune!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali_Dude