Humming noise in headliner above driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FijiRob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed a humming sound coming from the round cap that is located on the headliner directly above the driver (I have a 2002 Yukon). The cap has small holes and appears to be a microphone for the OnStar system, but I am unsure. Before I pull off the cap and take it apart, I wanted to know what's behind the cap. The humming sound only happens when it is cold outside. Once the car warms up, the humming goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Its a temp. aspirator, its prob. gone bad hence the buzzing noise it makes.
Real cheap to fix at the dealer.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
It could also be a vibration noise from something in the headliner. By the drivers door you can pull down the liner and put your hand in there to see if something is loose and rattling or humming.

When you get the noise try pressing up on the headliner and see if the noise stops first.

Just my 2 cents

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my 03 does the same thing from that round piece right above my head and from the other one in the back above the rear seats. It sounds like it is winding up and down when I start/stop the engine. It is getting worse so any input on what this is and how to fix it would be great. I thought those were little speakers or microphones for the onstar but I will try the canned air thing tomorrow and see how that goes. If they are air sensors that have a fan inside that makes more sense cause it sounds like a fan slowing down when I kill the engine.

UPDATE: Well I don't know if this is the right piece but I got it on Ebay for $31 shipped, will update again after I get it installed if it fixes the problem. Click to see part

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csides