ipad install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DylanSorenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to install an iPad in my 03 Tahoe but I already have a double din JVC installed. I was thinking about putting it where the 2 compartments and the cigarette lighters are. I need help on how to make a bezel that will fit the ipad . Like would I use fiberglass or how could I fit it so it will fit. I just thought about the idea today so anything would help. Also if you have done it could you include pictures and how you did it? Thanks

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
I'm building one for my 06 Tahoe right now. I taped the iPad up and waxed it. Then I layered fiberglass on the backside to create a pan for it. I then used a cheap eBay snap on cover and trimmed the front and added some abs plastic to it to make a face. Then of course add more fiberglass and bonds to shape it. I'll see if I have a pic of the progress on my phone

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Some ppl are making concave areas in the dash an setting 6-10 magnets in the dash so it clips on and off seemed sickkk

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
Yeah I wanted to do the magnet idea and have the pockets behind it for when it's not in use but unfortunately I've got the original iPad. Magnets don't stick to it

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Ok here's all I have. I didn't take too many pics as I worked on it. Here's the fiberglass pan I made

2012-11-29182624.jpg

Here's the pan molded in and the face plate laying onto of it

2012-12-14181216.jpg

And here it is test fitted into my buddies Yukon (I didn't drive the Tahoe to work that day) its only sitting in there to check clearance of the top. The bottom isn't snapped in and will sit about a half inch or so further in

2012-12-19164915.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DylanSorenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks awesome but is the whole thing removable or just the iPad. Also I'm new to fiberglassing so could you explain the process of how I could make a mold for the center console where the iPad essentially slides in and out of the custom insert.

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
The whole thing is removeable if you want but there is a slot on the passenger side where the ipad slides in and out of the mount.

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
Thanks Chris.

As far as steps and technique.....I knew how to fiberglass but what I learned about specific iPad techniques I learned from watching sound man car audio on YouTube. Their channel amplified is pretty entertaining. Their older episodes are what I like better than the new stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925