Key won't turn to start without shaking it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new to me 07 tahoe has just started this. Sometimes the key won't turn in the ignition. It is in park and if you giggle it I can get it to turn and starts fine. I can turn it on an off and it will stick about 4 out off 10 times. So... I think it needs to have the switch replaced.

Anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Is it hard? Something I can do or something I'll need a dealer to do for code programming? How expensive is a fix like this?

Any advice and knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both keys have the same problem, one is original, the other is new. It just started, has been working fine for about a week before this started.

ajaxnxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my keys do the same thing I was looking at getting it replaced soon I was told that it is the lock cylinder or something like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new to me 07 tahoe has just started this. Sometimes the key won't turn in the ignition. It is in park and if you giggle it I can get it to turn and starts fine. I can turn it on an off and it will stick about 4 out off 10 times. So... I think it needs to have the switch replaced.

Anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Is it hard? Something I can do or something I'll need a dealer to do for code programming? How expensive is a fix like this?

Any advice and knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,

It may be a lock cylinder tumbler issue. I encourage you to have it inspected for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea the tumblers are defective. Probably a spring is loose but yea get it taken in and swap the tumblers. If u have to pay for it its not really expensive but thats what it is imo

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both keys have the same problem, one is original, the other is new. It just started, has been working fine for about a week before this started.

I have/had the same problem...turns out the one and only key that came with my truck wasnt cut properly so when I went to make another key it didnt turn at all. Two blanks later the shop got it working perfect!

Let me ask a dumb question what do you mean one key is new?

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have/had the same problem...turns out the one and only key that came with my truck wasnt cut properly so when I went to make another key it didnt turn at all. Two blanks later the shop got it working perfect!

Let me ask a dumb question what do you mean one key is new?

I meant one key was the original and the a new key was cut. It worked fine for a a week or so, and just recently started this. It goes in the shop this week and I'll post the results. Thanks guys.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant one key was the original and the a new key was cut. It worked fine for a a week or so, and just recently started this. It goes in the shop this week and I'll post the results. Thanks guys.

Thats what I thought (which is the same that happened to me).....the original key gets worn down then a new key is cut using the worn "template (orginal worn down key)". If you made another key using the "new key" as a template it probably wouldnt turn at all. I hope that made sense to ya....having a hard time putting it into words ;(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo