Lifting stock 2004 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71 with stock everything. Tires are 265/70R17 and are starting to crack and rears are past 40% of remaining tread.

This is our daily driver so not looking to go crazy. But thought it might be good opportunity to put on a mild lift.

Here are parameters:

1. Not looking at sacrificing handling or ride comfort. Obviously stability goes down a bit.

2. Not going to wheel this truck. Maybe some very minor off road or camping. Maybe go to the beach. That is it.

I looked at this little kit: http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html for $200 that would fit my budget (not including tires of course.)

How hard is it to install this and how does it ride after? Are there other kits/mods to look at?

I know I will need to get spedometer adjusted, but was looking to replace since one stepper is bad, don't have trany temp, and some lights are burned out. Is there anything else I am going to have to do?

tks.

Last edited:

gr86ss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed that kit on my 04 Z71. Ride is just like the factory ride. I use the vehicle for occational hunting and beach trips. It was perfect for my budget and purpose. It was easy to install but you will need a torsion tool to remove/install the leveling keys. I installed 275/55-18 and used a hypertech programmer to adjust the Speedo calibration. I found the hypertext tool on craigslist for $50 As far as the speedo, I used a service on eBay where you purchase a Speedo and they send to you and then you ship back your old one. I got the tranny temp on the new cluster and it has blue needles.

gr86ss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Typo, I have 275/65-18 Nitro Terra Grapplers. No, I didn't need a lift for them to fit. I leveled my Z71 for looks not necessarily for tire clearance.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the point of lifting to go up so little. gr86ss, that is a difference of 1/2" in total diameter of tire, so 1/4" of lift on tires.

I think i am going to keep it stock for now. Don' t have the money to put into new tires, plus lift, wheels, adjusting speedo, etc... I have two other lifted vehicles so I think i will leave tahoe be. It will be cheaper in long run.

Since I need tires, i will put the money into a slightly more aggressive tire.

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the point of lifting to go up so little. gr86ss, that is a difference of 1/2" in total diameter of tire, so 1/4" of lift on tires.

I think i am going to keep it stock for now. Don' t have the money to put into new tires, plus lift, wheels, adjusting speedo, etc... I have two other lifted vehicles so I think i will leave tahoe be. It will be cheaper in long run.

Since I need tires, i will put the money into a slightly more aggressive tire.
You could probably find a set of Ford keys off of a Craigslist part out for cheep to level it. Step up a size or two when you do the tire purchase, and just remember the Speedo is off by a MPH or two. You mentioned your gauge cluster needing redone. You can get the kits on amazon, and Ebay for around $30-40, watch one of the thousands of youtube videos on how to do it yourself and save some serious coin. Also you seamed to lead on that gauge cluster repair can correct your speedo for the tire size change. That is not the case. You'll have to have either a programmer (capable of doing it), custom tune ( and have it programmed in), or service center with access to a Tech-2 diagnostics machine to change it.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look in my albums you'll see my setup. I also have an 04 Z71. The pics with the silver wheels are with a 3" body lift. Cost is 200-250. Install is pretty easy. I then purchased a set of keys, spacers and bilsteins for all 4 corners for around 400. Install was pretty easy. The only time I'd consider my ride "rough" is on unpaved roads, or paved roads that suck lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts