looking for a 14b and front diff swap for my 96 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a 14 bolt semi floater C clip rear with 4.11 and a front diff I can swap in with 4.11 in my Tahoe. I would like something a little wider that what's under there now because I'm running a 1" spacer in the back and I would like to ditch that. A stock G80 is fine because it won't be a serious rig. Up front when I swap the diff preferably with a 4.11 also i will stick in a posi unit. The truck will be getting a LQ9 with very mild heads, likely a GT2-3 cam and hopefully a Mp112. I'm not building a rock rig, race truck or anything like that just a capable rig to tow stuff out of a tight muddy spot and a tow rig for my an my boys to go to a show or race. What year axles and diff should I look for and should I try and dind an 80 wirh transfer case to drop in with the LQ9?

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a 14 bolt semi floater C clip rear with 4.11 and a front diff I can swap in with 4.11 in my Tahoe. I would like something a little wider that what's under there now because I'm running a 1" spacer in the back and I would like to ditch that. A stock G80 is fine because it won't be a serious rig. Up front when I swap the diff preferably with a 4.11 also i will stick in a posi unit. The truck will be getting a LQ9 with very mild heads, likely a GT2-3 cam and hopefully a Mp112. I'm not building a rock rig, race truck or anything like that just a capable rig to tow stuff out of a tight muddy spot and a tow rig for my an my boys to go to a show or race. What year axles and diff should I look for and should I try and dind an 80 wirh transfer case to drop in with the LQ9?

The front differential you will not be able to do much with unless you swap in a SFA. The 9.25 front IFS will not fit with out major modifications, which will require more work than just going to a SFA. If you don't want to go SFA, then just swap in a set of gears into your current front differential. The 8.5 IFS is not a terrible differential. It's not a dana 60 by any means, but it's not what people make it out to be. For just a light wheeler, I'd stick with the IFS. I see steering components wear out faster than differential parts

For the rear, some heavy duty 1500's and light 2500's in your year range had 14bsf's with 6 lugs. The swap has been done on other sites (gmfullsize, fsc, gmt400) look there for what you will need.

For your transmission, a 4L80E will be the best option. I would personally use a NP241 for a transfer case. Try and find one from the same year motor you will be using, it will help with tuning. LQ9's came in NBS Escalades which I don't not think ever came with 80E's. Between the LQ4 and the LQ9, there is not much difference. Only thing is compression ratio. I would go with a LQ4 personally. Much easier to find since it was in 1500's, 2500's, 3500's and work vans

Last edited: