My Burban is pissing itself crack in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after a couple of hours dealing with a sticking lifter getting that all squared wich i fixed BTW
i stopped at a friends house yesterday and rolled down the windows and smelt that sweet sweet smell
and i said "AWW F**K" and i looked under the front end and saw drip drip drip drip
and under the hood it appeared to be running down right under the top radiator hose and dripping off the drain plug so i figured the hose had a hole so i replaced it then after driving somemore it still leaked
so after much closer examination right under were the hose goes into the radiator there is aobut a 3 inch crack kinda small but it still leaked alot. So since im not able to get a new radiator till later this week i said what the hell try some stop leak, i poured that stuff in there i got from orileys and after about 10 minutes it stopped leaking completely i was astonished of course but that didnt last long because low coolant light came on

now my question is since its basically a crack in the plastic part of the radiator would there be any harm in maybe attempting to seal it up with like an industrial adhesive gorrilla glue or something like that
its a pretty small crack

and i hear bad things aobut stop leak im just curious if i screwed up by using that stuff

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not on a gm , but ive essentially plastic welded the same thing in the past. I used a crappy soldier gun, sealed, then melted more plastic over it. I think I used bic pen caps as the donor material

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The stop leak can clog some of the smaller coolant passages and can cause problems with flow at the heater core. I would do the new radiator but if you want to try and patch, more power to you. The gorilla glue is not going to work. You have to remember how hot that radiator gets before the heat is dissipated at the core.

OP
OP
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting new radiaor friday when i get paid i was just trying to figure out a temporary patch to get me by till then

a guy at autozone suggested leak seal put like 3 coats of that on the crack let it dry for like 30 minutes between coats i just did the last coat so well see how well it holds in couple hours
just need it to hold till friday new radiator and an oil change

also since its got alotta miles on it ive been reading up a bit appearently the o ring for oil pump inlet needs to be replaced its supposedly the cuase of the low oil pressure when the engines cold till it warms up

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used stop leak once..damaged my engine and it overheated....this was on an 04 jeep wj mind you.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Don't ever put that stuff in a vehicle you plan on driving further than the nearest junkyard. You just caused major issues with your radiator and heater core. Wow.

For a leaky hose?

I'd have done this in a pinch: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ix&safe=off&tbm=shop&spd=15931578251280973575

Get it home and fix it.

What you did just did a ton of damage to your cooling system. Even if you replace your radiator, your heater core will never flow as much and you will get less heat. Bad move.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just make sure you flush the entire cooling system when you do the radiator and change the thermostat. If you have access to a power flush machine then that is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dubb65