Never seen this before - Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
176k miles, vehicle specs in sig. @swathdiver @Doubeleive @petethepug and anyone else. A couple weeks ago, I replaced my rear pads and rotors. I noticed the RR parking brake shoe did not have any pad material left on the metal ring. There were no pad material chunks or excessive brake dust. The LR side was fine.

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2716.jpeg

So I ordered parts and set about replacing the parking brake shoes. Got the parts swapped out without issue until I tried to reinstall the RR rotor. The adjustment was all the way in and I was barely able to get it on. Forget about it rotating. What gives? What am I missing? Maybe the last guy removed the pad material so it would fit?

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be. Try swapping rotors if possible.

I have purchased some parts store brake pads that were just too thick.
Went to another store, material was thinner, everything worked fine.

I know you got the Delco pads, but maybe the rotors were changed before and one was out of spec?

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked that and seemed good. LR has good clearance and engagement.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess without being able to have a closer look that there is a issue with the parking brake hardware
I am a bit confused by your photos? looks like you replaced a axle and some hardware? can't tell which side is which and what was replaced or not replaced, per side anyway
in any case try measuring both sides and see what's up
the old parking brake shoe does look like it was worn down to nothing but probably happened a long time ago, maybe someone drove it around with the parking brake applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtymax6610