New guy looking to buy a Yukon or Tahoe and need advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new member here, and I am hoping you guys can advise me as to what to buy as far as a 2 door Yukon or Tahoe 4x4. What year is the best for reliability, and what years to stay away from. It will be my daily driver, and any help would REALLY be appreciated! I know this is all a matter of opinion, but you guys as owners know these trucks better than anyone, so please let me know, if say, the 98 is know to have transmission issues, or the 97 has engine issues...stuff like like.
I am actually looking for a 95, but they are really hard to find.
Thanks a lot!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it, 96 and up has the Vortec motor?

I have a 97 tahoe and burban and love them both.....just not equally

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is it, 96 and up has the Vortec motor?

I have a 97 tahoe and burban and love them both.....just not equally

Well...I have heard from some of my buddies that the 95 and older is more reliable, and that the vortecs do have more issues, and more electrical components...but that is why I am asking you guys that own them.
Is there a big difference in the 95 and older compared to the 96-99 with the Vortec?
Any major issues with ALL of these trucks that i should be aware of, and look for when buying one?
Thanks again for the help with this...I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
96- up is Vortec. More power, better EFI. Sometimes the spider injectors need to be replaced. Intake gaskets. It's still a 350 chevy, so it's easy to work on.

95 year was a split year for the old and new interiors. 95 motors are TBI. Easier to work on, but less power.

Everything else is basically the same. You are still buying a vehicle that is 15-20 years old don't fool yourself.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would personally go for 96+. there are more complicated electronically but are easier to diagnose issues that arise. they can also be tweaked more.

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys....what about issues with transfer case, or transmission, or ABS...stuff like that? I do know we are talking about around a 13-17 year old car, so there will be issues. Just want to avoid a certain specific year if it has given owners fits.
Thanks a lot for the input.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
abs remain relatively the same through-out over the years various upgrades have been made to the tranny and the transfer case system can go form a part-time system to auto 4wd, from mechanical shifter to electric shifter, having a nuetral option or not and from no diagnostic ability to full diagnostic ability.

OP
OP
Brewcity

Brewcity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abs remain relatively the same through-out over the years various upgrades have been made to the tranny and the transfer case system can go form a part-time system to auto 4wd, from mechanical shifter to electric shifter, having a nuetral option or not and from no diagnostic ability to full diagnostic ability.

I did notice that option...so I am guessing the manual shifter on the floor is a better option...and less expensive to fix if it fails? Or am I wrong about that?
So you saying the electric shifter has a full diagnostic ability due to the electronics, and the manual does not?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
manual has the nuetral option and easier to fix and track down issues. the first (1996)e-shifter nv243(np1) had very limited diagnostics and no nuetral option. NV246(np8)(1998) has more diagnostic ability as well as auto 4wd and has the nuetral option back in play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968