newbie: 6.5 components as front speakers, need help with placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHRISBECERRA66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need some opinions. Im sure some one has done this before. Just got my 94 with the older interior. i have 4x6 in the dash, and wanting to elimnate them. I want to wire up 6.5 components. Can i put these into the doors? looks shallow. What has everyone else done?:

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris, you could get some q-forms kick panels to get the staging better than sticking them in the doors. or get some custom kick panels, or even make them yourself. but that would probably be the best way to start getting your sound staging better.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/q-products/q-forms/

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

http://www.qlogicdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=222_223_289_1294&products_id=71

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

some people may tell you that the q-forms are overpriced, or don't deliver as well as custom kicks, and they may well be right, but it's a quick easy way that looks "factory" and helps with staging.

Sir-Lancelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the Q Logic in the past and they are nice, but can be better. They are pretty flimsy as is.

Take some sound deadener or non hardening model clay and put it on the backside then cut a MDF ring to go on the backside of the 6.5 cutout. These 2 mods will make them MUCH heavier and will make a noticeable improvement in the midbass. If you can vent the back of the driver into the firewall that would help too.

OP
OP
C

CHRISBECERRA66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thee q form site starts @ 1995, I have a 94. Will it still work? The e brake is very close to the wall... is there some one out there that makes custom ones?.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the links say they require a 1.5" parking brake bend. i remember seeing ones that mount to the door instead of the kick panel. they may have been custom, and somewhat easy to DIY if you know how to work with fiberglass.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris, i would THINK they would work, but i don't know for certain. i'll see if i can find something out on the net or something. someone may be able to chime in with more info about it too.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

evidently they make one for the pre-'95 ones too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YBFcDp...ick-Panel-Enclosures-1988-1994-Dark-Gray.html

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
they'll work, had a set on my 88, and added dynamat to strenghten them up some...on backside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx