no oil pressure :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drove my hoe for about 5 minutes, didn't get on it that hard... went to start and and no oil pressure. I thought maybe it was a sensor, but I shut it down to be sure. Checked the oil level and looked around didn't see any oil or broken sensor wires or anything so I started it again briefly and the lifters got really noisy...

So now it's diagnosis to find which mechanical problem it could be. I just replaced the oil pump & chain when I put the motor in and it has about 3,500 miles on it now. Haven't had any problem or noticed any sort of drop in the pressure before this... It usually sits around 40-50psi or so when idling I believe.

Where'd be the first spot to check? I've heard a bad oil filter could cause dropage... but total loss of flow?

Other thoughts is pull the sump and check the pickup and then possibly pull the timing cover off and I'm not looking forward to that

OP
OP
Tahoe03mm

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The level is ok... It's definately no or low pressure I can tell the hydraulic lifters are not pumping up because it got really noisy

ChazMan

Reaction score
Whenever something goes wrong, I always think "what was done the last time?".
So, maybe something has to do with the new oil pump and chain?
Another possibility is the oil pressure relief valve that might have fallen off - then the pressure would not build up because all the pumped up oil would leak out from where the valve would screw in.

From what you are saying, two thinngs indicate that there is no pressure building up.
1. Noisy lifters.
2. Oil pressure gauge reading zero.
I know it sux but tt's best to remove the oil pan and check.

OP
OP
Tahoe03mm

Tahoe03mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well good news so far... I pulled the filter off and just swapped it to see if it made a difference. I started it first and no change. Check oil and gave it one more shot and it picked up pressure right away. Ran it for a bit and then test drove it without any problems... I don't use ****** filters usually wix or bosch so who knows. Going to change the oil again anyways because it's due, but I'm going to open up the filter and take a look, hoping for the best.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if there is blockage in the pump. i dont know about the 5.3s but i know the early LS1s oil pumps tended to die around 100-120k. i havent heard of this being an issue with the truck motors though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52