OBD2 / CAN adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krbjmpr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have gone through 3 OBDLink MX+ in 2 years. Last one they sent in January went sideways last night when leaving work.

Basically, adapter loses ability to connect with tablet / phone and does not show OBD data. I suspect that system voltage (seen top out at 14.9vdc) is what is killing.

Looking for a hardwired solution that is able to drill down into the GM specialty pid and other similar features. I primarily use TorquePro on Galaxy Tab Active2, but can change USB connection types / protocol easily.

Anybody found some gems that can do same as MX+ over a cable vs Bluetooth?

Reaction score
Interesting, I've had my MX+ constantly plugged in for 5 years or so and still works when I connect to it. Sometimes it won't connect to the app so I just unplug it and plug it back in and it connects.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isn't that a dongle that can flash tunes?

if you're just trying to read pids, I've had good luck with both of these cheap ones for extended pids for they hybrid stuff which it's none stranded added pids for tq app

links in this thread

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had missed the cable part. I don't know if a cable one, but these are cheap enough to be throw away if you fry them

Reaction score
isn't that a dongle that can flash tunes?

if you're just trying to read pids, I've had good luck with both of these cheap ones for extended pids for they hybrid stuff which it's none stranded added pids for tq app

links in this thread

The MX+ doesn't flash tunes, it's just basically a Bluetooth code reader that also reads other various pids, etc

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MX+ doesn't flash tunes, it's just basically a Bluetooth code reader that also reads other various pids, etc

ahh. I was thinking of this kinda thing.

does it have a stand alone app with the extended pids preloaded, or do you still manually enter them like you would with torque app?

Reaction score
ahh. I was thinking of this kinda thing.

does it have a stand alone app with the extended pids preloaded, or do you still manually enter them like you would with torque app?
Yes it comes with an app and you can download the extended pids for your vehicle. Don't know what LSDroid is, never used it. Do use Torque Pro though

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not up on my older ls open source tuning tools. when I had a 02 ls1 they hadn't cracked the obd2 emcs like they had the obd1 stuff. you were stuck with hpt or ls1 edit. both paid apps. now they have like 3 different flash tools for obd2. I think ls drod was just one of them.

my e38 ecm still isn't worth the hassle to the diy guys since the older ls ecms works just fine for swaps. so hpt it is for me too. I only use tuner pro for the old obd1 stuff currently.

sounds like that app with the extended pids probably only works with their dongle. unless they give you access to a list to type into torque app, (I'm still diging around the net for the rear air ride shock pressure pid myself, that and low side ac. other cheap dongles probably won't do much for you. is your obd2 port switched power? if not, you might want to make it so. that's a long time to leave stuff pluged in, most of the chips in them run on 3.3v and you're running a voltage drop circuit 24/7. plus powering sensitive electronic while cranking can have spikes and stuff, I'd wire it so it doesn't get power constantly and not during crank. Just key on.

what are you using tuner pro for? it actually warms my heart a bit to see the old 90s program still being used today

Reaction score
I'm not up on my older ls open source tuning tools. when I had a 02 ls1 they hadn't cracked the obd2 emcs like they had the obd1 stuff. you were stuck with hpt or ls1 edit. both paid apps. now they have like 3 different flash tools for obd2. I think ls drod was just one of them.

my e38 ecm still isn't worth the hassle to the diy guys since the older ls ecms works just fine for swaps. so hpt it is for me too. I only use tuner pro for the old obd1 stuff currently.

sounds like that app with the extended pids probably only works with their dongle. unless they give you access to a list to type into torque app, (I'm still diging around the net for the rear air ride shock pressure pid myself, that and low side ac. other cheap dongles probably won't do much for you. is your obd2 port switched power? if not, you might want to make it so. that's a long time to leave stuff pluged in, most of the chips in them run on 3.3v and you're running a voltage drop circuit 24/7. plus powering sensitive electronic while cranking can have spikes and stuff, I'd wire it so it doesn't get power constantly and not during crank. Just key on.

what are you using tuner pro for? it actually warms my heart a bit to see the old 90s program still being used today
Who are you asking, me or the OP?

If me, the MX+ powers down after like 6-10 minutes after vehicle is shut off. I actually have a BT Dieselworks AutoSync dongle also, along with their OBD splitter cable, and keep the AutoSync hidden up under the dash and have the MX+ plugged into the other side which Replaces the OE OBD port under the dash.

I don't use Tuner Pro, but either OBDLink or Torque Pro.

My 95 mustang is OBD1 and I used a twEECer and software on a laptop to tune it. Can't think of the name at the moment, but I know I also used EEC Analyzer to analyzes logs and give recommendations. Moates Quarter horse keeps popping into my head though for some reason.

EDIT: just remembered the tuning software name is Binary Editor. Also, I did all this back in 2005ish and still have all the software and hardware installed but don't need to use it much unless I decide to change something up, lol

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good stuff.. yeah I see they say it powers down, I don't know. Just seems like if he's killing them, and it's easy to do. I'd just make the obd2 port switched. mine is like that. no worries when I forget to unplug stuff.

I don't know how you guys can have two things plugged in at once. I never can. if I use the splitter one of the other gets glitches data and faults out. I end up using my splitter use as a right angle extender cable.

weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1